Age Doesn't Have To Hold You Back

Age Doesn't Have To Hold You Back

I am so impressed by some of the individuals I have encountered in my mom's workout class.

30
Age Doesn't Have To Hold You Back
Care Resolution, Inc.

Age is but a number. How many times have we heard that phrase and blatantly ignored it? At the moment, I have the advantage of youth on my side. However, as the number that denotes how many years I have been residing on this Earth increases, who says that my mind, body and spirit have to degrade correspondingly? I am absolutely inspired by some women and men that I have encountered at a class that I attend at the YMCA.

The class is called “Aerobics” or “Cardio Dance.” I have been to several different classes at different YMCAs with different instructors. Each of them follows the same basic format, though. The classes begin with 30 minutes of cardio dance. The cardio section is followed by a hand weight section. The final section is floor-work that varies but can include abdominal workouts, glute workouts and leg workouts.

I decided to ask some of the individuals in the classes that I attend about their age and how long that they have been attending the class. I misjudged the age of several individuals and assumed that they were much younger than they are in reality. I am shocked at the incredible shape these men and women are in. It is also wonderful to see how long some of these people have been committed to the class.

My mother has been going to this class since she was pregnant with me. Now, I know that I said that I am young, but that has still been 20 years. When I was in junior high and high school, I would love to go to the classes with her solely because I thought they were so much fun. I am by no means an Olympian athlete, but I thoroughly enjoy exercising and staying active, and I consider myself a relatively fit individual. Growing up, I always played sports, worked out and loved gym class. Nowadays, I enjoy running, going to the gym, and trying all the new up-and-coming exercise trends and classes. All of that being said, this aerobics class is actually pretty challenging and kicks my butt sometimes. It is a great class because of its vast variability. You can make the class as easy or challenging as you want. So, if you do suffer from physical challenges then you can perform the exercises in a way that accommodates your needs.

When I came home from college after trying all of the new-age workout classes with other young and active college students, I gained a whole new appreciation for the aerobics class and the individuals in it. To begin with, the women and men that I have met in this class are some of the kindest and most genuine souls that I have ever met. They constantly ask me about school and how I am doing and get so excited when I attend the class. The level of welcome and comfort of the class is something that is very special in itself. When new members begin the class, the moves can be a little tricky to pick up but everyone just laughs and has a great time while they’re learning.

There are younger individuals that sporadically attend the class in addition to other activities in their workout regime. I frequently see college students trying the class, teenagers that come with their parents, and people in their 20’s and 30's just looking for a fun way to get in shape. In addition to the intermittent younger folks’ attendance, there are older women that have been going to the class for many, many years. One woman told me her story of how she stumbled across the class. She said that she was sled riding with her children and realized that she was out of breath from going up the hills. She decided that she wanted to take control of her life and she has now been attending the class for 30 years. That is another special thing about the class. It provides a great starting point for individuals who are seeking to make a change in their lifestyle. Whether you continue to attend the aerobics class or find new classes and interests, it can provide a great fun foundation for any future physical endeavors.

The underlying message here is even greater than the class itself. I am in awe of what some of these women and men are capable of. They are strong and utterly inspirational. They have committed to a healthy lifestyle and staying active regardless of their age. It has shown me that age does not have to define your physical capacity. Of course, our bodies can encounter physical challenges as we age that can make it more difficult to perform some tasks. However, I am a firm believer in starting habits early on in and maintaining them throughout our lifetime. Eating right and exercising in some way is something that can be continued regardless of your age. Watching women that are nearly 80 years old do squats better than me has given me the inspiration to continue to lead a healthy lifestyle and internally hold onto my youth even when it appears to be gone externally.