How Living With My Best Friend Got Me Through My Worst Semester

You might be told not to live with your friend, but sometimes they're all you need.

75
CloudPix

When you go to college, one of the biggest things people tell you is not to move in with your friend. They say this for reasons like "you'll end up disliking each other because you don't have any time away from one another" or "it's just better if you meet new people." It's a constant swarm of people telling you about their own experiences so that you know as well as they do that for some reason it just can't work. I can't tell you that those reasons are invalid, but I can tell you one thing about myself.

I moved in with my best friend, and she deserves to know that for a million and one reasons, but especially these particular ones, I never would have made it through this semester without her by my side.

1. She had my back during one of the worst times of my life.

I can't say that I didn't have plenty of support, but there was no better friend than the one who stayed up way later than we should have been just so I could make sure I wouldn't spend too much time in my room by myself. She listened to me talk about the same thing over and over again and didn't show any signs of being annoyed, even though she had every right to be.

2. She helped me realize that I needed to pull myself out of the hole I was in without pulling any punches, especially when it came time for me to be the supportive one.

It's not that I thought I would continue to be in such a bad spot in my life, but I definitely needed the push to realize that I was wallowing instead of allowing myself to get better.

3. We can sit in the same room for extremely long amounts of time without running out of things to say, especially because most of our time spent together is going out to eat.

After going through school with an awkward array of friends, and a long time struggling to find someone that I felt comfortable talking to, moments like those are the ones that I feel thankful for constantly.

4. When it comes to never running out of things to say, we both know it's going to get pretty weird, and we gave up on caring a long time ago.

When we first moved in together, there was a definite question of where the boundary was, until one day I'm sure I said something that I thought was funny that was actually just really weird, but then she laughed too, and it has since gone very downhill from there in terms of humor.

5. All of our jokes are ridiculous, but we are going to say them out loud anyway because we know that at least the other one will laugh even if everyone else stares at us in disgust.

As long as one person is laughing, that's all that matters, right?

6. If we know we've been spending too much time together, we're comfortable with giving one another space.

This doesn't happen extremely often, but if it does, it's usually only one or two days of both of us keeping extremely busy and then coming back with another hundred stories to tell one another.

7. Our conversations occasionally get awkwardly intimate.7.

With no boundaries comes no filter.

8. We typically dislike the same people, so there is no shortage of expressing our opinions to one another.

And even if one of us doesn't feel that way about a particular person, we can generally sway the other one with enough information.

9. I know at the end of the day that if I need something or just someone to talk to, she'll be there, no questions asked.

And I would do the same, no matter what. Thanks for being the best roommate and friend I could have ever asked for.