AFC Division Predictions 2016

AFC Division Predictions 2016

Who I think will win each division.

5
AFC Division Predictions 2016
digitaltrends.com

With the start of football season everyone is picking who they think is going to win their divisions and make it to the playoffs. Whether it be fans picking their favorite team to go all the way or "experts" making their predictions of the season, everyone believes they know how the season will unfold. Now I'm no expert, but every year I like to throw my hat in the ring and make my own projections. Let's start with the AFC East.

AFC East

1. New England Patriots

Do I even need to give a reason? The Patriots have won their division 12 of the last 13 seasons. In fact the only time they didn't win in that span was in 2008 when Tom Brady was out for the year. Despite that though they still had an 11-5 record. Until Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire, there is no reason to not pick the Patriots.

2. Buffalo Bills

Last year the Bills had a new head coach and no idea who was going to be their starting quarterback. Enter Tyrod Taylor, who after being an unknown name on the quarterback depth chart, won the starter job and played exceptionally well. Combine that with what should be a much improved year by running back Lesean McCoy who will be healthy, and the Bills are looking primed to improve on their 8-8 season from last year.

3. New York Jets

As good as the New York Jets were last year, I think they are going to regress just a little bit. The resignation of Ryan Fitzpatrick definitely helps their cause but they lost a few pieces on the defensive end as well as their bell cow running back in Chris Ivory. They added Matt Forte, but he is getting up there in years and I don't know how much he has left in the tank. He benefited greatly in Chicago from the fact that his coach called a lot of passes to the running back.

4. Miami Dolphins

It is still early on but the Dolphins don't look any better than they did last year when they finished 6-7. They still have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and they lost one of their best defensive weapons in Olivier Vernon. Who knows, they may surprise some people, but I think they are in for another season below 500.

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers are probably the second best team in the AFC: when healthy. This is a team that features the best wide receiver in the league and the best running back in the league. Not to mention their quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. is also pretty good. The only thing keeping the Steelers out of first place in their division is themselves. Their star running back is already suspended for the first three games, and Roethlisberger is injured quite often. If they stay healthy they should win their division and possibly much more.

2. Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals surprised everyone last year when they started off their season 8-0. They aren't going to sneak up on anybody this year. That being said, they still have a great team. Their defense is top 5 in my opinion and they have a good amount of offensive weapons, in A.J Green and the running back tandem of Jeremy Hill and Giovanni Bernard. They might not win their division, but a wildcard spot is definitely in the cards for them.

3. Cleveland Browns

Even the number three spot is surprising for the Browns. a team that is always bad no matter what they do. But this year is different. Their all pro wide receiver Josh Gordon is back after missing the last two seasons, and they added a rookie receiver who looks to be very good so far to go along with him. Their quarterback however is a weak spot as always but new head coach Hue Jackson has a reputation for being a quarterback whisperer.

4. Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens are a strange team. Just a few years ago they were Super Bowl champions. However after losing key veteran defenders and not ever bolstering their wide receiver depth, they are suddenly left with no playmakers. Their best player is Steve Smith who is 37 years old and coming off a torn Achilles. The Ravens don't have any players of note anymore and are doomed for a poor season again.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts finished 2nd place in their division last year despite their star quarterback being injured most of the season. This year he is back and they should resume their roll as the top team in the south. Their running game should be much improved this year since defenses will have to honor the passing attack once again and as long as the defense can step it up a little bit they should have no problem taking the top spot.

2. Houston Texans

The Texans are a team on the rise. they still don't have a premier quarterback, but Deandre Hopkins has been able to make up for that in the past. Combine that with the fact that they finally have a good running back again and the Texans are well on their way to compete for the top spot. I believe the Colts will take the top spot but it could be close, especially with the Texans having an advantage on defense.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are a team that a lot of people expect to be very good this year. Unfortunately for them they are in a division with the Colts and Texans. Go figure, they finally have a good team after being so bad for so long, but the other teams in their division are just as good.

4. Tennessee Titans

The Titans are that lone team in the South that are still growing up. They got their franchise quarterback last year, and have added two very good running back options. But they are still rebuilding in my mind and they are nowhere near ready to compete with the other three teams.

AFC West

1. Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs are a very consistent team that aren't talked about much. Which may be because they've been behind the Broncos and Peyton Manning the last few years, but now Peyton is retired and the Chiefs have a great team. One of the top defenses in the league and an offense that will be getting back one of the top two running backs in the league this year in Jamal Charles. Barring any setbacks to Charles I think the Chiefs should get their division title.

2. Oakland Raiders

Another team that has been terrible for the last few years, but now finally they are looking like a football team again. The raiders have a lot of good young talent and one of the top offensive lines in the game. they have almost all the pieces they need right now so I am expecting big things from them this year.

3. Denver Broncos

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this one, but I think the Super Bowl champion Broncos will be third in their division this year. They have an even worse quarterback this year than they did last year and as good as their defense is, a year makes a lot of difference and you can bet teams have been watching the game they played against Pittsburgh last season.

4. San Diego Chargers

The Chargers are a weird team. They have some of the best offensive weapons on their team, and yet they only managed four wins last year. They need to improve their defense fast and that would change their fortunes immensely. However, as of right now, they are destined to be last in their division again.