Advice From Chip & Joanna Gaines To Fix Up Your Life

7 Pieces Of Advice From Chip And Joanna Gaines That Will Fix Up Your Life

If you have ever watched the hit HGTV show, Fixer Upper, you know Chip and Joanna are the real deal.

175
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkXpkaBn7Wi/?taken-by=hgtv.fixerupper

After discovering my love for HGTV during my first year at college, the hit show, "Fixer Upper," quickly became my favorite. Chip and Joanna Gaines are the starts of the show and while showing the beautiful homes they flip for families, they also give us a look into their wonderful relationship. They also recently wrote a book together called "The Magnolia Story" which gives an even deeper look into their life before and after the show took off. Here are some simple pieces of advice I have gained from Chip and Joanna's relationship after watching their show and reading their book.

1. Family is important

From the beginning, family has always meant a lot to Chip and Joanna. Even as their business and bank account continued to grow, they always make sure to spend time with their kids. Even though they have to work a lot and be on the site of homes, they often times bring their kids along to show them what mom and dad do all day. They have gotten their children involved in many different projects around the home whether it be painting and demo with Chip, or designing a children's room with Joanna, they always make sure that family comes first.

2. It is okay to be silly

If you have ever watched at least one episode of Fixer Upper, then you know Chip and Joanna are not afraid to be silly on screen. Although Chip is definitely the more outgoing one, they do not care about being silly in front of the cameras. It shows how much they love each other and love having fun together. Most people would not make weird faces or prank each other on TV, but that is just who they are, and that is why we love them.

3. Be yourself

Chip and Joanna are definitely not afraid to be themselves on screen. Although they had a little trouble adjusting to the cameras in the beginning and almost didn't get the show because of it, they are no longer phased by the cameras being a part of their life. In fact, most viewers enjoy watching their show because they are so genuine in front of the camera. They definitely show us that being yourself is the best way to go.

4. Happy wife, happy life

Chip Gaines knows how to make his wife happy. Early on in their relationship, he helped her live out her dream and open a small décor shop, the original Magnolia Market. She never thought she would ever be able to own a small shop, let alone the handful of small business they currently own. Ever since then, Chip knew that a happy wife makes for a happy life. Joanna usually gets exactly what she wants when it comes to the design and floor plan of the house. Chip is willing to put the extra work in taking out walls or rearrange floor plans so Joanna can make her clients dream home. And at the end of the day Chip is happy to see Joanna so happy with the way her design turned out.

5. Trust your gut

Whether it is life or the design of a house, they always trust their gut. Chip has always been an 'all or nothing' guy. After reading their book, "The Magnolia Story," it is amazing how much they had to trust their gut in the early years of their relationship. You just need to trust your gut and trust that God will lead you in the right direction. Joanna has also made some amazing design choices that may not be the most common or mainstream idea, but her originality is what makes her homes so special.

6. You don't need money to be happy

If you've had a chance to read Chip and Joanna's book, "The Magnolia Story," you would know that they struggled with money for most of their relationship until Magnolia Homes took off and they started their TV show, Fixer Upper. Even though at times they only money they had was in Chip's wallet, they still found a way to make their relationship, family, and business take off. Even in the darkest times when they didn't know how they were going to pay the bills they were still able to stay positive, happy, and love each other even more.

7. Follow your dreams

After watching five seasons of Fixer Upper and reading "The Magnolia Story," the most important thing Chip and Joanna have taught me is to follow your dreams. If they didn't dream big and do everything they could to achieve their goals, they would not be where they are today. When Chip and Joanna started dating, Joanna had never even designed a room before, she was in school for broadcast journalism. So if you follow your dreams, even if they don't seem possible, they will come true if you work hard.