ADHD Treatments

ADHD Treatments

Is the use of drugs such as Ritalin the best choice for limiting symptoms of ADHD, or can pairing it with alternative therapy be a better choice?

15
ADHD Treatments
aftertheshift.blogspot.com

ADHD: MEDICATION AND ALTERNATIVE THERAPY

Tom was sitting quietly in his seat, taking notes while listening to his teacher's lecture about alligators. Suddenly, he cringed again. Jordan, the boy sitting directly behind him could not stop shifting around in his seat and tapping his pencils on the desk. Pretty soon, more students began to grow irritated, glaring at him. Finally, the teacher could not tolerate Jordan's distractions anymore. She marched up to Jordan's seat, scolded him for the third time, and ordered him out of the classroom. Jordan just sat there, stunned. As tears began to well in his eyes, he kept on wondering what he had done wrong.

ADHD has many treatments that allow the child to manage his symptoms. Some methods include medications, Ritalin being the most used one. Other methods include alternative treatments such as behavioral therapy, counseling, and parent training. Recently however, there has been a growing controversy about the use of medication and whether or not it safely and optimally benefits the consumer. Compared to pharmaceuticals, behavioral therapies produce fewer side effects that may impact the patient’s health. By adding alternative behavioral methods to the proper medication, the symptoms of ADHD can be minimized and replaced with healthier habits and actions.

Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) involves the neurological system and its failure to produce enough dopamine, a chemical that is responsible for controlling actions, making decisions, and controlling the pituitary gland ("Alternatives" n. pag.). This causes the person, whether an adult or a child, to face problems communicating with others, staying organized, completing tasks, and making appropriate choices. The disorder is classified into three primary symptoms: They include hyperactivity, inattentiveness, and a combination of the two. In the United States alone, about three to five percent of the population has ADHD and fifty percent of that population will continue to have the disorder into adulthood ("Alternatives" n. pag.). Although, a fraction of the population in the U.S. has ADHD, it is still a disorder that must be addressed.

ADHD began to gain attention back in 1845 when a German poet named Heinrich Hoffmann first wrote a book titled Der Struwwelpeter. This story was inspired by his hyperactive and disobedient son. By the mid-twentieth century, medical stimulants including Ritalin entered the pharmaceutical market to treat hyperactivity and attention deficiency. By the 1980s, this growing case came to be known as Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (Walker 25-31). Even though the disorder had been identified, the use of Ritalin and other drugs remained to be the primary treatment plan for decades.

Recently, more people are questioning whether or not using medication could safely reduce symptoms of ADHD. The use of multimodal treatments, including medication at a lower dosage and behavioral therapy, has gained recognition in being a potentially beneficial alternative. This includes counseling, check-ins, and frequent monitoring of the individual with the help of a support team (therapists, teachers, family, etc.). Along the way, he will have the opportunity to develop new habits to solve problems, gain self-confidence, make better decisions, and even build social and work skills. The question is whether or not this alternative can help children and adolescents with ADHD and possibly replace the traditional method of just taking medication.

Even though there have been some growing safety concerns, Ritalin is actually considered to be harmless. As long as the dosage is set at the appropriate amount, ADHD patients usually go through few side effects. In fact, only a fraction of all ADHD patients experience them and the side effects themselves are not very severe (AdhdNews n. pag.). Another concern about medication is the fear of the ADHD patient developing a tolerance and addiction to it. Frankly, there is a low chance of substance abuse as long as the dosage is appropriate (n. pag.). This statement has been concluded by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (Watkins 67). Best of all, Ritalin is one of the most popular medications because it helps to correct the level of dopamine in the brain (AdhdNews n. pag.). Ritalin is not only safe, but beneficial to the patient’s brain functioning.

Ritalin is not only one of the most popular treatment methods, but the majority of its supply is located in the United States. One major reason why this may be the case is due to the fact that the majority of ADHD patients are in the United States (Watkins 67). This explains why taking medication is the most common way to reduce the symptoms. The supply of the drug is vast and many families can gain access to it. Subsequently, the price is going to be set at a reasonable price that many individuals will be able to afford. This is an advantage that overshadows the costs of behavioral therapy.

In contrast to prices and supplies of medication, the availability of behavioral therapies is scarcer. Additionally, the programs can be quite costly. Often times, insurance companies do not cover them (Watkins 43). In today’s era, many families are so occupied with priorities outside of the home that they often lack the time and energy to try alternative methods. Behavioral therapies and support systems, in comparison to medication, require frequent monitoring of the child (Shute n. pag.). Even if the ADHD individual gains access to therapy and benefits from it, he can easily regain his old hyperactive and inattentive habits if he is not consistently monitored. Since he must be kept in check constantly, the teachers at his school must participate in the monitoring process, too (n. pag.). Without a support system, the chances of decreasing levels of radical behavior and a lack of discipline are going to be slim.

Finally, the main reason why combining medication and behavioral therapy is gaining little recognition is due to a lack of research. Alternative therapies include special diet plans, getting educated about nutrition, and learning about its effects on hyperactivity and brain functioning. For instance, a research study conducted in the twentieth century concluded that processed foods increased the chances of a child becoming hyperactive; however, recent studies have not found a solid correlation between these two factors ("Attention" n. pag.). Additionally, some people wondered whether or not food allergies had something to do with the dopamine levels to the brain. Research studies on the other hand have not found any evidence that food allergies influence the severity of ADHD (n. pag.). This may lead to the belief that therapies that include dietary factors are not necessary in reducing hyperactivity and improving focus.

Despite the previous claims of denouncing the multi-modal treatment plan, adding alternative therapies to medication cannot only reverse ADHD symptoms, but it also helps to promote new skills essential to any person. Based on a research study by the Multimodal Treatment Study of Children with ADHD, the group concluded that while children treated with medication alone were less hyperactive, it also found out that the children treated with multimodal methods developed social skills and make academic progress (Shute n. pag.). Another research study looked carefully at the effects of parent skills training, a program that teaches parents how to help their child to control his behavior. This includes the parents making clear and laconic requests and later rewarding the child if he follows through. The clinical studies concluded that this positively impacted the severity of ADHD (n. pag.). In many cases of ADHD, the child often has trouble socializing and paying attention. Not only do these multi-modal methods increase the ADHD person’s ability to control his actions, but he will also gain the ability to interact with people and gain confidence. His family, teachers, and friends, will benefit from this change in attitude, too.

Besides its high success rate, multi-modal treatments have fewer side effects than medication. Even though ADHD medications help to treat the disorder, it has a potential for bringing side effects that could severely impact the person. For instance, Ritalin, the most popular ADHD medication, is a Schedule II Drug. This means that it has a potential for substance abuse and addiction (Walker 16-18). Once behavioral therapy is added to the medication however, the risk of drug abuse can be reduced. Still, another ADHD drug raised some concerns by Health Canada, the Canadian version of the FDA. According to their studies, Adderall XR was responsible for twenty cases of sudden death (55). Overall, side effects of these stimulants include insomnia, weight loss, stomach aches, and hallucinations (AdhdNews n. pag.). All of these health problems can be controlled and reduced if therapy is added to the medication because the patient will be able to take care of himself and his health.

An additional reason why the multi-modal treatment creates optimal results is that it includes a variety of techniques and plans that the patient can choose. This includes dietary changes, therapy, and counseling. For example, Chinese herbs cleanse the body and reduce levels of hypertension, a discomfort endured by ADHD patients with or without medication. This alternative also increases the amount of dopamine, reducing hyperactivity ("Alternatives" n. pag.). Using behavioral charts is another beneficial method that not only helps the ADHD child, but also his family. This allows him to understand differences between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. If he follows directions and shows respect for others, he earns a reward (AdhdNews n. pag.). Not only will his self-esteem and ability to control his actions improve, but so will relations with family, teachers, and other peers. As a bonus, there are no side-effects. There are also treatment plans that include counseling, but these can often be expensive. Fortunately, families can find community health centers that include therapeutic programs and training at a lower cost (Watkins 90). Many families with an ADHD-related problem can feel relieved and realize that anybody can find a healthy treatment plan.

Using medication to treat ADHD helps to lessen the symptoms of hyperactivity and inattentiveness; however, combining it with alternative therapies helps to improve the patient mentally, physically, and socially. Not only will side-effects be reduced, but the ability to make decisions and control actions will improve. In contrast, using medication alone only benefits in the short-term because drug effects tend to wear off (Watkins 40). Usually, a person who takes a drug may develop a tolerance to it and increase the dosage to get high, sometimes in secret. To solve this problem, consulting a therapist can help. Many therapists can help the ADHD patient to find alternative ways to behave and deal with everyday problems. This greatly decreases the potential of drug abuse and increases other outcomes such as social skill building, organization, and healthier habits ("Attention" n. pag.). Subsequently, many research studies have not evaluated the effectiveness of drugs in the long-term compared to the effects of alternative treatment (AdhdNews n. pag.). It would make more sense to rely on multi-modal methods because the research studies show they can improve the person with ADHD permanently.

What citizens of the United States must do to increase ADHD awareness is to start a campaign for a new legislature. This legislature should cover federal funds for behavioral therapy programs that included healthier diets, Chinese herbal methods, massage therapy, physical activity, parental-training classes, and counseling. Not only will these programs help the ADHD child to manage his symptoms and make better decisions, but his family, teachers, and friends will all learn healthier habits, too. Teachers who can help and provide all of the students’ needs are often more successful because they have the opportunity to deal with a greater variety of people. Additionally, doctors who are associated with prescriptions and medications can still recommend medication to treat ADHD, but also include supplemental alternatives to treat the whole patient and improve his well-being.

Many people with ADHD may often feel confused, left out, or different from other people; however, it is important to help these ADHD patients feel comfortable, understand how their disorder works, and learn how to reduce the symptoms while building themselves as citizens. Giving a patient a pill or a shot is like treating him like a number and not as an actual person. With multi-modal methods however, he will have a larger self-esteem, a higher level of confidence, and a greater ability to change the world and become successful. This should especially come into consideration with children. Finding safe and optimal ways to treat ADHD must be considered around childhood because that is the best time to learn good habits and new skills. Alongside with that, children’s bodies are still developing. Taking several different drugs over a period of time or taking them alone is not healthy for such a young individual.

Works Cited

AdhdNews.com. AdhdNews.com, 2011. Web. 18 Feb. 2015.

"Alternatives to Drug Treatment of ADHD Should Be Pursued." Opposing Viewpoints in

Context. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Jan. 2015.

"Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder." Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online,

2015. Web. 9 Feb. 2015.

Shute, Nancy. "Nonmedication Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

Are Effective." Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Opposing Viewpoints,2014.

Web. 12 Feb. 2015.

Walker, Ida. Recreational Ritalin: The Not-so-smart Drug. Philadelphia: Mason Crest,

2013. Print.

Watkins, Heidi. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2011.

Print.