16 Things To Do While Practicing Social Distancing
News

Who says social distancing needs to be boring?

186

Life is pretty crazy right now due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Schools and Colleges across the country are closing down, restaurants are only offering carry out, and supermarkets can't seem to keep their shelves stocked. Everyone is on edge, anxious, and unsure of what the future holds. It is recommended that those who are able to should be practicing social distancing or self quarantining. Let's face it, being stuck in your house for days on end can get pretty boring. So here's a list of fun things to do so you can hopefully make the most of your time at home.

Learn something new

Take this time to try and learn something new or master a new skill. Download the app Duolingo and learn a new language, perfect your chocolate chip cookie recipe, watch some Youtube videos and learn how to knit, learn how to play a new instrument. The possibilities are endless!

Spend some quality time with your pet

If you're anything like me then the hardest part of going to college was leaving behind your furbabies. Use this extra time to cuddle with you furry friend and make up for being gone for the past seven months. Give them some extra attention and treats and maybe even teach them a new trick!

Catch up on school work

Get ahead on homework before you go back to school (or have to start online classes from home). If you get ahead now you be less stressed later down the road!

Get Tik Tok famous

Now you have time to kick start your Tik Tok career! Learn the popular dances and make some funny videos with your siblings or parents.

Read a book

I love to read but I never have time to actually sit down and read a book. Use this extra free time to read a new book or one of your favorite books from your childhood.

Paint something

Focus your energy and time on creating something new. Paint a picture, follow a Bob Ross tutorial, or break out a coloring book.

Call and catch up with your friends and family

If you're feeling lonely while social distancing don't be afraid to call up your friends and family. There are so many people that would love to hear from you. Call your grandparents, your college roommate and friends, and friends from high school. Social distancing doesn't have to feel like solitary confinement.

Cook a meal or bake something

Go through and make some of those recipes you have saved on Pinterest.

Clean out your closet

I have needed to clean my closet out for a very long time. Now I finally have time to actually sit down and do it. I'm going to throw away my old clothes and donate or sell the rest once we are no longer advised to practice social distancing.

Clean and organize your room

I'm planning to go through and deep clean my room and bathroom. I find that cleaning tends to calm me and I think there is nothing better than a clean room.

Binge watch some shows

Catch up on or rewatch your favorite shows or movies.

Exercise

It can be tempting to just lay in bed or on the couch and just do absolutely nothing right now. Try to get up and move a little bit every single day. Take a walk outside, do some yoga, or follow a workout video on YouTube.

Rest and catch up on sleep

Use this extra time to get the recommended eight hours of sleep everyday!

Have a spa night

Set aside some time to take care of your self. Do a face mask, paint your nails, take a hot bath, deep condition your hair, etc.

Play around with makeup

Follow some makeup tutorials on YouTube and play around with some unique looks that you wouldn't usually wear.

Don't be THAT person

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE practice social distancing if you are able to. It doesn't matter if you think that you are young and healthy and it doesn't matter if you get it. Think about your friends and family that could possibly be hurt by your carelessness. You may get it and recover. However, your elderly grandfather with COPD who you spent time with may not. Do not go to restaurants, bars, movie theatres, stores, etc. if you can help it. Stay home and protect yourself and others if possible. If you absolutely have to go out make sure to take necessary precautions. Wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and don't touch your face.

Please stay safe and healthy!