Parallels Between 1968 And 2018 In Activism

Did We Just Leave 2018 Or 1968?

A tumultuous year that changed the 20th century, and it looks like 2018 shaped up to be its younger sibling.

132

As we enter 2019, looking back to 2018 I see that it was a tumultuous year, making 1968 come up more and more into my mind.

1968, the year that became known as the "year the world turned upside down." It was not just America that changed, but the world as a whole. Death, protests and action defined a time that would come to define a generation. Students — young people — were the ones changing this.

Mexico, where innocent students who only wanted representation, protested in Tlatelolco and were murdered for no real reason.

France, where for the month of May, students protested and brought France into the Modern era.

Russia, where the citizens were not alerted to all the things that were happening and a new app that depicts everything that happened in 1968 revolutionized the world.

Latin America, where gender and sexuality were questioned and protested all across South and Central America.

Now we come to 2018 where we started out the year with Larry Nassar being tried and found guilty for sexually assaulting over 150 girls. This brought the #MeToo movement to a higher point of confidence and power. Igniting people to feel that coming forward about their assaults and abuses will actually receive justice.

The outcry that happened when Brett Kavanaugh was appointed to the highest court in the nation amid multiple sexual assault allegations.

My own personal justice that was served after finally coming forward about being raped over two years ago.

Women and men both gaining more power to become themselves and fight for their right to be treated as such.

2018, when the war on media rose because of the United States presidency. Also when there was a Cold War-era kind of feeling between the United States and China. When Russia is more of an ally to the United States and Russia is having the same problems with what was being protested in 1968.

2018, when children grew tired of being afraid of being shot while going to school and protested. They protested enough to make a difference in the elections in Florida where one of the many shootings took place.

2018, when people opened up and were more accepting of mental illnesses and seeking help for them.

As we enter into a new year and the basic mantra of "new year, new me," comes back around, I hope you look back on what the world has been up to and how this will affect you and the life you live.