A Guide to Diets

A Guide to Diets

The term diet is a broad one, it simply refers to what we eat but can also mean a restriction, or a guideline of certain foods for certain reasons.

9
A Guide to Diets

Some people follow diets in order to lose weight, gain muscle, because they have an intolerance of certain food types or to improve a health issue.

You may have heard a lot of talk about a certain diet at one point but were never really sure what it entailed, this guide will talk through some of the most popular diets and what each of them involves.

Paleo Diet

Let’s start off with the paleo diet, also known as the caveman diet. The idea behind it argues that humans should eat the same foods that their ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors did.

Backing up the argument is the fact that the modern Western diet of things like processed foods, dairy and grains can be linked to diseases such as cancer and heart disease.

Vegetarian

Vegetarianism is the act of not eating animals, however there are different limitations to this. Most vegetarians will not eat meat but still eat products of animals such as dairy and eggs. Those who don’t eat meat nor animal products are most likely vegan.

Pescatarian

Pescatarian is similar to vegetarian except the only meat consumed is fish. Fish can be a great benefit to health as it contains omega 3.

Vegan

Veganism means not eating any meat or animal based products like dairy, honey or eggs, etc. People take up veganism for their health, the environment or ethical reasons, usually being against animal cruelty.

Because the diet is restrictive, it may be low in certain nutrients which will then mean taking supplements. Fortunately, vegan products and alternatives are becoming much easier to obtain. These alternatives also help people with certain issues like lactose intolerance.

Carnivore

The complete opposite of the vegan diet, carnivore advocates meat with a particular focus on red meat like grass fed beef. It also includes some animal based products such as eggs, butter and some cheese.

Carnivore is essentially a combination of paleo (as it argues that early mankind survived on meat) and a version of keto or low carb diets, as meat is low carb, instead providing you energy from its fat.

Some forms of carnivore go as far as advocating for eating animal organs, so called nose-to-tail eating. It’s also debated on whether honey also counts as an animal product similar to dairy.

Still, if anything, trying out the carnivore diet is a good excuse to regularly fire up the grill to cook your steak on. A patio heater or a gas fire pit can keep you warm all year round while you cook your meals on the barbecue.

Keto and Atkins

Keto is a popular low carb diet that involves swapping carbs for foods high in fat like cheese. This puts your body into a state of ketosis which makes your body burn fat for energy.

Atkins is also similar, allowing you to eat as much protein and fat as you like but avoiding carbs. These diets can lead to weight loss and other health benefits, however whilst low carb diets make some people feel great, others may struggle and feel miserable which means sticking to it long term (the key to a successful diet) will not be possible.

Intermittent Fasting

Whilst more of an eating pattern than a diet, it may prove beneficial to some. The most popular method of intermittent fasting involves fasting for 16 hours a day (including sleep) and eating within an 8-hour window.

Do Diets Matter?

Diets aren’t a one size fits all, different diets work for different people due to a variety of factors including food tolerances, genetics and level of activity. Whilst cutting out certain foods may help one person, it may be detrimental to another.

In terms of weight loss, calories are the most important, followed by macronutrients such as protein, fat and carbohydrates.

If a diet doesn’t make you feel good, it’s not the one for you. So don’t feel that you need to stick to one or restrict yourself to extremes. Experiment, see what works and do what is right for you.