9 Ways To Deal With Anxiety Attacks

9 Ways To Deal With Anxiety Attacks

These helpful tips can really decrease your stress levels.

27
9 Ways To Deal With Anxiety Attacks

Anxiety is incredibly debilitating and difficult for those who experience it and of course for the people that they love. However, there are some really great coping mechanisms which can help you combat this daily struggle. Most of them revolve around shifting your focus in different ways, because that helps relieve the stress of anxiety in a healthy way. So here are some helpful tips for de-stressing when you feel an anxiety attack coming on.

1. Take an ice cube and let it melt in your hand.

Seriously, I know it sounds weird but it really can work! Holding an ice cube puts your body into a thermal shock and your mind is then able to focus on source instead of what is giving you anxiety.

2. Keep a journal.

Journaling can be incredibly therapeutic and helpful when you find that your thoughts are all jammed up, or when you find that they are scattered all over the place. Also, if you are stressed about numerous things that you have to get done, it can be helpful to make a list of what needs to be done, and also what about it makes you anxious, along with better ways to do it. It is also a good idea to try journaling while you’re having an anxiety attack so that you can record what it is that makes you nervous for future reference and find ways to cope with it.

3. Exercise

Believe it or not, studies have shown that just ten minutes of exercise can release endorphines---feel-good hormones---and leave you feeling very energized. The moment you feel an attack coming, just start doing some cardio! You'll feel on top of the world!

4. Practice breathing techniques.

When you feel an attack coming on, it can be really helpful to practice exercises which help and control your breathing. You can breathe in and hold your breath for a few seconds and then let it out. In doing these exercises you will find that your mind becomes so focussed on the rhythm and motions of inhaling and exhaling, that your stress will subside sometimes without you even noticing it.

5. Read a book/magazine.

In many ways, books are a great outlet into a different world and again, it causes your mind to shift focus on something more calming. Even if it is a book you’ve read, it becomes something familiar to divert your attention to.

6. Watch T.V./Movie.

Sometimes watching a movie or T.V. show, even if you’ve seen it a dozen times before, can have a great effect on your stress. It is something familiar and less intrusive than those thoughts which are causing the panic attack.

7. Find a task and get busy.

Find something that you’ve wanted to/needed to get done and just do it. It might be cleaning your room, washing the car, whatever it is it will really take the stress off of your current thoughts and make you feel very invigorated once that task is done!

8. Change your environment.

A change of scenery can really do wonders; whether it is going to another room or taking a walk, changing your location can bring a whole new perspective. Again, it is a good way to refocus the nervous energy that is crippling you, and you will find that you can see a lot of great things if you change up the environment!

9. Talk to yourself/Call someone to help talk you through it.

Verbalizing your fears and concerns can help you understand and find solutions to your stressors. So talking to someone, or yourself if no one is available, will help get the tension out and it can help you calm down, especially if you do it slowly. Just keep telling yourself it will be okay. This will pass and you will pull through.

Thanks to research and awareness, there are countless ways to deal with anxiety attacks. Let me know some other ways that help you deal with them. I know how daunting it can be when an attack comes all of a sudden. But just know that you will be OK and that you will make it. I promise you.