9 Things To Do When You're Feeling Stressed Or Down

I need to take my own advice.
Jessica
Jessica
24

Certain parts of our lives experience more stress than other parts. It's a fact of life itself, and it's pat for the course. Stress is the universal language of busy people - if you're busy, you're probably stressed. So what can someone do when they're down in the dumps from stress, anxiety, or depression? Here's a few tips from a perpetually college student.

1. Shower or take a bath.

Showers melt the stress away. You get to stand there and do nothing, with hot water relaxing your muscles and tired body. Everyone knows doing nothing is probably the best thing in the world, especially stressed out people. Stress plays a big role in how you physically feel, and a shower can probably help relieve tension you have building up. The same can be said for a bath.

2. It seems like a bad idea, but get things done.

When I have too many things to do, too many deadlines hanging over me, and I'm just too busy in general to keep up, the only way I can relieve it is by doing some of those things without procrastination. Sit down for an entire day and do as much as you can. The mental list in your head will decrease in size. You're stressed out for an entire day, but it relieves the stress for the next few days or even the rest of the week.

3. Do one of your relaxing hobbies.

Train yourself - if you get a lot done, take the incentive to set aside time for whatever hobby you want to do or have missed doing. It sets the stage for positive reinforcement, and potentially gets you dreading doing your work less. It gives you a reward and helps rid of any procrastination. Getting things done takes discipline, of course, but this will help you even while you get things done.

4. Talk it out.

Let it out. Tell a friend. Talk about how stressed you are. Bottling it will only stress you more and it may potentially lead you to saying or doing things that you might eventually regret. Being stressed can make things worse, especially if people you care about don't know you're so stressed out.

5. Go for a walk.

Get away from concrete. I know I'm at my highest level of stress when I'm surrounded by buildings and people in a city like setting. A recent study showed that people are kinder when they are surrounded by nature. I can only imagine it includes being kinder to yourself - so take advantage of it.

6. Stop everything and take a nap.

Sleep. Nothing is better than the sweet release of sleep.

7. Cuddle a pet.. or a human.

Pets are scientifically proven to lower blood pressure. Dogs and cats can be the most relaxing beings to be around. If you're dating a person, they work too.

8. Try to be positive.

Keyword is try.

9. Treat yourself.

Buy that thing you've been wanting. Take that trip you've always wanted to go on. Of course, doing it constantly will result in financial ruin, but every so often, remember you work hard. And you deserve it.