8 Ways To Make Your Jewish Mother Proud As Told By Drake Lyrics

Life lessons about your mom from Drake.

652
vulture.com

Out all the proud, kvellingJewish mommas out there in the world, there is one lady who I would most love to sit down and have a little nosh with. This shiksa is the wonderful Sandi Graham, also known as Drake’s mom…who raised him alone in the Six. Not only has Drake grown to become famous, rich and handsome, but he as kept an incredible bond with his mother. He writes about her often in various songs, including the tear-wrenching song “You & the 6,” in which Drake explores his childhood, racial identity and basically blesses his mother for raising him so amazingly while also apologizing for not calling enough.

All of you Jewish children out there reading this, it is not too late to do some things to make your Jewish mother proud!

Please note: These generalizations about Jewish mothers are in no way meant to deny the complexities and deep individualities of Jewish women who are mothers. Rather, this is meant to be a comic piece, and the perceptions of the “Jewish mother” mentioned in this writing are based on my own incredible mother, the perception I have of Sandi Graham based on Drake lyrics and most of all, the many Jewish moms I am #BLESSED to know.

1. “Momma is a saint, yeah, she raised me real good.” - "Child’s Play" from "Views" (2016)

This is one of the ultimate compliments you can give your beautiful Jewish mother, that she raised you well. You may want to alter the grammar, depending on the career of your mother, as I could think of a few who would throw a fit over any incorrect grammar.

While calling your momma a saint can be seen as a high compliment, because “saint,” in colloquial terms, can mean an amazing person, please be careful! You do not want to cause worries that you are leaving the tribe. We all know denouncing the faith is the ultimate way to make your mom un-proud. So make it clear publicly that your mom put in some hard work when you were a child, and is basically just the bomb dot com (even if she is still using old “hip” terminology like that).

2. “Tell my mom I love her if I do not make it.” - "Pop Style" from "Views" (2016)

The public “I love you” is an incredible way to make her proud. However, for most of you, this is probably something already a part of your daily (or more like 10 times a day) routine. You know the texts I am talking about: “Yes, I had dinner tonight, Mom. I love you.” Or “Goodnight, Mom, love you.” Or, “Yes, I will get my flu shot this week, I love you, Mom.” Or “My matzo ball soup is not as good as yours. Love you, Mom.”

However, the way Drake utters this in "Pop Style" is so intense, it has as much deeper meaning. He is making it clear if he does “not make it,” or alas, has a health problem (maybe from not taking enough Airborne) and is in a state of emergency, the first thing he wants to happen is someone to find Sandi Graham to remind her Drake loves her. It is simply so sweet and endearing. We, Jewish children, have work to do (thanks, Drake, for this incredibly high standard). Our emas need to not just know we love them, but they are our worlds.

3. “Shout out to the homeowners / the girls that got diplomas / and enough money to loan us." - "Fancy" from "Thank Me Later" (2010)

Education has forever been a huge priority for Jewish mothers and fathers alike. I’m not going to delve into anything related to Jews and money right now…but the bottom line: make it clear how much you value individuals with education.

If your Jewish momma helped make sure you had an education, don’t be afraid to thank her constantly for providing you this education. Did she buy your diploma? Make sure you take it a notch up from those hand-written thank you notes. If we want to continue feeling “Fancy,” go ahead and make your JM some baked ziti (keep it parve) and get her a bottle of nice (on sale) Riesling. Spend an evening together watching your Bar/Bat Mitzvah video on replay (don’t you dare hit fast forward) and give shout outs to all your friends in the video who earned some diplomas.

4. “Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah / 6 point star, lion of the Judah.” - "Still Here" from "Views" (2016)

Praising Adoni is of course an incredible way to make all Jewish mommas kvell. In "Still Here," Drake is the ultimate NJB when he openly and honestly questions if G-d can hear him (I think he must remember that precious tot Shabbat song about G-d being here and everywhere). But then Drake just lets loose, finding his praise and remembers one of our most sacred symbols, the six-pointed Star of David. I think what a Jewish mom wants to know most is that her children feel the connection, the mishpocha, and will continue their lives living the covenant. It is not just any covenant, it is one that has been repeatedly attempted, but thank goodness failed, to be demolished. It is OK to get sappy. Take after Drake and sing your praise.

5. “I bet if I give all my love then nothing's gonna tear us apart.” - "Find Your Love" from "Thank Me Later" (2010)

Let's bring it back to the basics by thinking to the good old V'ahavta prayer, “You shall the Lord your G-d with all your soul, all your might.” This classic prayer, most likely one of the first you learned to chant and would hum non-stop around the house, is all about giving love for the Lord and continuing the Jewish covenant with L’Dor V’Dor.

One could interpret this line in multiple ways, but we all know Drake is talking about Adoni. Drizzy is declaring that he is going to throw all his love to G-d and forever they will be united. Sandi obviously interpreted this line the same and must have been shvitzing like it was 90 degrees out of pure joy. Now if you wanna try to live up to Drake and make your JM proud, go chant the V'ahavta and then sing the Debbie Friedman version of the song. While you are at it, grab a timbrel and jam to Miriam’s song. Make it clear that you feel the faith, the culture, the tradition, the tribe and the way of Jewish life all over you.

6. “Dedicated to my mom, and I swear my word is bond.” - "The Calm" from "So Far Calm" (2008)

An older, less common Drake song from the early days, this line gives us great advice for how to make our mommas oh so proud. Two words: dedication and bond. Make it clear you are dedicated to her, the ancestors and the traditions. Of course, this goes along with keeping up the tight Jewish child and Jewish mother bond.

Don’t roll your eyes, thinking about all the texts and voicemails when calls are not returned or the constant questioning, matchmaking, reminders about school/education, coupons and sales. Instead, let loose and embrace it all to really keep that bond and dedication up. Who knows? Maybe you can become an expert and give Drizzy some pointers. Obviously him and Sandi are bonded like no other, but even he knows he should call her more and agree to go out on a date with “that girl” from Sandi’s gym on Thursday.

7. “Sweatpants, hair tied, chillin' with no makeup on / That's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrong.” - "Best I Ever Had" from "So Far Gone" (2009)

If you are planning to use this line on your momma, make sure you are not saying it after she got dressed up for Shabbat, because in thatmoment, you just need to tell her how beautiful she is. However, make it clear that she is pretty all the time in her most natural habitat. Be sure to really extend the same respect to all (of course, making it clear to your own JM she is the most beautiful of all), because there is nothing better than a child who understands everyone’s natural beauty. After all, we are all created in the image of Adoni. Cue the rant your mother once gace you about inner beauty and intelligence when you were 13, prepping for your Bar/Bat Mitzvah worried about the zits, size of your nose and who would be the best partner for Coke & Pepsi. Be sure not to forget those words of wisdom.

8. “I'm so, I'm so, I'm so, I'm so, I'm so proud of you.” - "Make Me Proud" from "Take Care" (2011)

It's pretty simple, but if you want to make that ema proud of you, then tell her how proud you are of her. Don’t be afraid to tell her she's “got it, girl” when she is really on track. When you see her making that brisket, simmering the chicken for the matzo ball soup, don’t just set the table (and you know you better be helping and not just loitering on the couch before the Shabbat dinner). Tell her how proud you are of the Jewish woman she is. Tell her that you hope to be half as good as a Jewish parent to your future Jewish children.

P.S. Sandi, if you are reading this, it is not too late to know you and your son will forever be invited to my future Jewish lifecycle events (because I know you got Google alerts: “that shit goes straight to your phone”). Of course, you will have to be his date and then we can talk matchmaking. I have a few friends on the short list and we can talk the long list over some Riesling…after all, we both are teachers and your words of wisdom, “Never get sloppy drunk, but alcohol is problem solving” ring in my ears.

L'chaim to you, Sandi, and all the incredible Jewish mothers out there.