8 Things I've Learned From My Roommates

8 Things I've Learned From My Roommates

10 girls in one house makes for a little drama and a whole lot of fun memories.

26
8 Things I've Learned From My Roommates
Seychelle Francis

I’ve lived in a house with 9 other girls for the past two years. Yes, it is a lot of girls; yes, it’s basically a mini sorority; and no, it isn’t impossible to manage. In fact, as cheesy as it may sound, these girls have helped shape me into the person that I am today. Here are a few life lessons that I’ve learned from my roommates.

1. Hate drives are a necessity.

When your roommate gets dumped by that jerk she’s been dating, take her on a "hate drive." Get in the car and blast some angry music while you drive down a long road and sing at the top of your lungs. It’ll make you both feel better.

2. Walmart trips are an event.

Plan on being there for at least an hour. Share your cart with a friend. Occasionally make a pit stop in the candle section. Always use self-checkout. Never fret if you forgot to grab something, because you’ll be going back in a few days

3. When in doubt, have a dance party in the living room.

Whether it's just been a long day or you guys get home and don't want to go to bed just quite yet, sometimes you just need to blast some "Hips Don't Lie" and shake it like it's your day job.

4. You’re not really part of the group til you’ve got a dumb nickname.

I can’t even keep track of how many nicknames we have going around our house, and I rarely ever get called my actual name anymore. Accept the fact that you're going to be stuck with a few nicknames, whether you like or not.

5. Drama is bound to happen.

In a house with 10 girls, drama is inevitable. Someone is going to be upset when the kitchen isn’t clean. Someone is going to be upset when you say something and it’s taken in a slightly different manner than you meant it. Passive aggressive notes are bound to happen. Take it in stride, because tomorrow it'll be like nothing ever happened.

6. We pick on each other because we love one another.

Is it really a home without a little tough love?

7. Everybody has to make their own mistakes.

A lot of us are going to make the same mistakes (especially with boys.) Give your roomies some advice when they want it, and maybe sometimes when they don't, but also be there for when your friend makes those same mistakes you've made yourself and needs a shoulder to cry on (even though you warned her.)

8. Be yourself.

With 10 different personalities, we all have to learn to love one another. It's okay to be different. Differences help the house have a little balance. Be yourself, because your roomies will love you no matter what.

To my girls at the Granny G’s house, thank you for being my family for the past two years. I love you all!