8 Diet Tips If You Really Want To Lose Weight

Dieting is hard! But it doesn't have to be if you just make these small changes!

12
Expert Beacon

Starting a diet is one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions there is.

However, many people also start them throughout the year. While many people start them, they don’t always have success. I recently started a diet in the past month. I have lost about ten pounds so far. Here are some tips and tricks to help you if you want to start one, too!

1. Commit to the idea of a diet

Dieting is hard! It takes dedication. The first week is the hardest in my opinion. You’re fumbling to figure out what you can have and what you can’t. It can be very frustrating, but don’t give up! You’ll find your feet and be successful in no time.

2. Figure out which route is best for you

Now that you have decided that you want to diet, you have to figure out which one will be best for you. Different diets help you lose weight faster, and some are easier for people than others. I went back and forth between the low carb diet and a diet called the Zone diet. My father knew a lot about the Zone, so I decided to lean more towards that one. Both of these diets are similar. In fact, the only big difference is that the low carb diet requires you to refrain from eating many carbs. All of these diets have specifications, so I would suggest you research!

3. Set a goal

Setting a goal is the biggest part of being successful. Determine whether you make better progress in small steps or large. I decided on a big step. Sixty-five pounds is my goal, but as long as I’m improving my life, I’m happy. If you don’t have a goal, what are you working for?

4. Change your habits

I’m a snacker! I snack when I’m hungry or even when I’m just bored! It is a habit that still arises! The best advice I can give you if you’re like me is to put good snacks around yourself so once you get the craving, you’ll eat something heathly instead!

5. Small rewards

Rewards are also a good way to stay on a diet! I hate nothing more than being refused something. I find it hard to stay on track if I eat the same stuff and never get a treat for doing good! So every now and then, my dad and I get a treat. One day we had a ‘cheat meal’ of Mexican food and it really helped. Even though we ‘cheated,’ we still ate pretty well for what our diet tells us. Sugar free candies have come a long way! So if you like candy as a reward, then you may want to invest in some of those!

6. Take the challenge with someone

The biggest thing to do for your success is to take the diet challenge with a friend or family member. I found it easier to take it with my dad because we live together and buying groceries is a lot easier when you diet with someone that lives with you. Also, if you’ve decided to work out, finding a gym buddy is a smart idea as well. You can congratulate each other and egg each other on. It really helps!

7. Find a calorie tracking app

Apps are what help keep us going! There is an app for just about everything! Looking into calorie tracking apps will be the best thing to do for a diet. You input everything you eat each day and the app will tell you where you need to make changes! I personally use Myfitnesspal, but any tracker will help.

8. Remember not to be too hard on yourself

Like I said, the first week is the hardest, but sometimes you will struggle. Just remember, you’re only human! If you go off of your diet, remember to get back on once the next meal rolls around.

Use these tips once you decide to diet! When I started, it wasn’t about losing weight, it was about eating healthier. Sometimes that goal is the best goal! If you eat better, usually the weight loss follows behind.

Good luck!