8 Reasons I Need To Thank My Dad

8 Reasons I Need To Thank My Dad

I had to show some love to the real OG. (original George)

5
8 Reasons I Need To Thank My Dad

1. He's responsible for my stellar taste in music.

The first concert I attended was the Doobie Brothers, and I was six. Growing up with a musician as a dad taught me that nothing compares to some good old classic rock. I used to get teased in middle school because while the other kids went to Justin Bieber and Lil Wayne concerts, I was jamming out to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin on my iPod. Now, I'm so thankful my dad taught me at a early age to appreciate real music.

2. He helped me develop my sense of style.

Going back to the whole 'having a rock musician as a dad' thing, I developed my own taste in fashion from him too. Spending the first 15 years of my life surrounded by guitarists in leather and ripped jeans took a serious toll on my wardrobe. Everywhere we went, my dad was always sporting a pair of black sunglasses (even indoors, at fancy restaurants, and at my 3rd grade piano recital). Back then I thought my dad's rocker look was only for the guys, but he helped me realize that black will never go out of style.

3. He started my love for the piano.

All joking aside, I'm forever grateful for my dad introducing me to the wonderful world of piano. I remember being a little girl, sitting on my dad's lap at our piano watching him play song after song. The most amazing part of it all was that he didn't need any sheet music - it was all stored in his mind. The first song I ever learned to play was Beethoven's "Fur Elise" when I was six, and soon after he helped me learn the Beatles' "Let It Be." There was nothing better than walking in the front door as a kid and hearing the house filled with music. I love knowing that my baby grand piano is waiting for me whenever I get to come home from school. My dad truly is my own "piano man."

4. He was my first babysitter.

According to my mom,I was a pretty difficult baby. When she went to work and my dad had days off, he would spend the day with me doing anything I wanted. I demanded that he played barbies with me? Sure, but my dad's barbie was named Janis Joplin and only wore black. My dad was my first best friend growing up, and I'm never going to forget the afternoons spent watching Little Bear and Rugrats on our living room floor, or playing catch in the backyard.

5. He introduced me to classic movies.

The Shining, A Streetcar Named Desire, King Kong, you name it. If it was an old movie (bonus points if it was in black and white), I've seen it with my dad. If I had the choice of seeing Dave Franco's latest film or watching a Marlon Brando movie, I'll choose the latter. I have my dad to thank for my love of "nerdy" franchises like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. There's just something about old movies that you just can't find today; the originality, the plot lines, the way everything seems so genuine - I'll never get enough.

6. He is a walking example of the kind of man I want in my life.

My dad owns a shirt with the phrase "D.A.D.D. - Dads Against Daughters Dating" on the front. While he may not be too happy knowing that his little girl grew up and got herself a boyfriend, he set a prime example of the kind of guy I should look for. My parents' relationship is actual goals - they cook dinner together, watch HGTV every evening, and my mom is always there to support my dad on stage. My dad showed me that being a gentleman never goes out of style, and I was lucky enough to find a guy who represents that perfectly (LOL hi James). He taught me that I deserve somebody who treats me the way he treats my mom; with respect, kindness, and compassion.

7. He taught me to drive (and lived to tell the tale).

Now I'm no Danica Patrick, but I wouldn't say I'm the world's worst driver, either. My dad was there to take me to and from driver's training every day, and even let me take the side streets home sometimes. He would take me to a cemetery by our house to practice turning, joking that "if anything goes wrong we're already here." Sure, I may have ran a red light or five, but his undying patience never quit on me. Thanks to him, I can now fully operate a 4-way stop all on my own.

8. Finally, I need to thank my dad because no matter what, he has always supported my ambitions.

He was my number one fan at every soccer game, horse show, and school event. When I decided to major in journalism, he told me I was an excellent writer. When I switched to PR, he supported my dreams of working in fashion in a big city. When I felt like hitting some golf balls, he tagged along to the driving range with me. No matter how outrageous or ridiculous my request, my dad has always been there for me since day one and I'll never be able to thank him enough.