8 Benefits Of Coloring

8 Benefits Of Coloring

There are many benefits to coloring when your are an adult.

212
8 Benefits Of Coloring

When is the last time you colored? Are you a believer in adult coloring books? Or do you think coloring is for little kids? Regardless, there has been a revival of coloring all over the age spectrum, especially with adults. Studies are showing that coloring is good for more than just wasting time or a tool for procrastination. It can actually have a lot of benefits for adults.

1. Coloring is an alternative for meditation.

Adult coloring has been prescribed as an alternative for meditation for a while now. An article shared by Medical Daily said, “Dr. Stan Rodski, a neuropsychologist who also has his own line of adult coloring books, says that coloring elicits a relaxing mindset, similar to what you would achieve through meditation.” It becomes a means for relaxation and a calming tool for those who have a lot on their mind. Adult coloring books can make it so you focus on coloring in the intricate pictures instead of constantly worrying over the things that may be stressing you out. It gives your brain a breath of fresh air and puts it into a relieved meditative state. So switch off your brain for a while and color. Not everyone can meditate.

2. Time to work through your personal issues.

Let's be honest, everyone has something weighing on their mind. It would be awesome to be able to say that by merely coloring that problem will go away. But, that is definitely not the case. While just coloring may not take away all your worries, it will give you time to reflect on them and find ways to approach them. Or, if nothing else, it will make it so you can put those issues on hold for a while and get some peace of mind. That might sound like procrastinating, but everyone needs a break once in a while.

3. It can help with emotional and mental health issues.

It's been noticed that individuals with obsessive-compulsive disorders, anxiety disorder, stress disorders, depressive disorders, eating disorders, anger management and substance abuse issues can benefit from a little bit of coloring. For such individuals, boredom, stress and lack of structure can trigger these issues. According to an article about this subject, a clinical psychologist named Dr. Scott M. Bea said, "When thoughts are focused on a simple activity, your brain tends to relax." Since adult coloring takes time and focus, the individual ends up not focusing on the negative issues and habits. Thus promoting positive thoughts and relaxation.

4. Coloring can be social hour.

Since coloring can be like second nature to people, you can always have a sort of color fest with your friends or family. It will promote a relaxing atmosphere that is open to conversation while everyone works on their picture. So invite some friends over, kick back, take a sip of whatever you may be drinking and have a good time coloring with your friends. It might not seem like the coolest thing in the world, but I guarantee you will come out of it feeling relaxed and having a couple laughs. If not, then at least you have an awesome new piece of art.

5. It calms down the amygdala.

The amygdala is the part of the brain that deals with an individual's "fight or flight" reaction. When it is active, an individual will most likely be in a heightened state of panic or worry. But, coloring is a harmless pass time and ensures such a being to focus and calm the amygdala down. It will make it so your brain can have some down time which can bee especially good for individuals with PTSD, anxiety and stress issues.

6. It sparks one's creativity.

When one becomes an adult, there are so many other things that they focus on. They have to pay bills, go to mind-numbing work, take care of their families, go to college, internships and so much more. If one is in college, chances are that they are focused on academic work and lose a little bit of their creativity everyday. Adults who color regularly find that their creativity is enhanced. Whether it be just picking out their clothes or being more creative in their work place, coloring can make that sense of creativity shine.

7. It can help with occupational therapy.

Since coloring is an activity that exercises both sides of the brain. Just think of all that goes into coloring. An individual must focus on keeping the coloring utensil in the lines, focusing on restraint and training the skills to make it a second nature action. One has to think of all the color choices and think about balance. To some people this might sound simple. But to others, this could actually be a tiring activity. For example, someone who loses the functionality in their dominant hand and they have to learn to use their other one. Coloring could help with that control.

8. Connect with your inner child.

Coloring is often seen, or connected, with that of one's childhood. Some may call it connecting with one's inner child. Well, in doing so, an individual can actually end up breaking negative patterns and boosting one's self-esteem. Since adults tend to focus more on the parts of their lives that need perfecting, connecting with one's inner child can remind them of that love and innocence, ultimately making them feel better about their self.

So go out there and get yourself a coloring book. It seems like there are more benefits to coloring that there is harm. No matter how old you are, coloring is something you can do. And who doesn't like coloring?