70 Things To Know Before Turning 18

70 Things To Know Before Turning 18

"One day, you're 17 and you're planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life." -One Tree Hill

1298
70 Things To Know Before Turning 18

There are some lessons we all need to learn sooner than later. Some of them none of us should live through. Here are 70 things to know before turning 18.

1. You cannot please everyone, no mater how hard you try.

2. You cannot force yourself to love someone, and you cannot force someone to love you.

3. Do NOT, by any means, change yourself because someone wants you to.

4. Not everyone means what they say.

5. Not every "I love you" is said for the right reason.

6. People leave your life sometimes for a bad reason or no reason at all.

7. Your heart will not hurt forever.

8. Your body will not ache forever.

9. Tears do not make you weak.

10. Your friends are trying to help you. Try not to lash out.

11. Do not take your best friend for granted. They want attention too.

12. Girls are confusing and boys are confusing. We are trying to figure out who the hell we are.

13. Call your grandparents. They miss spending time with you.

14. High school doesn't last forever.

15. Make the most of the time you have with your friends before you all end up hours from each other.

16. If you have senoritis, just make sure it does not carry to the first semester of your freshman year.

17. Boy or girl, your mom will be your best friend.

18. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! NETFLIX/XBOX WILL BE THERE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!!!!

19. Never text while you are driving. You really are not invincible.

20. Own sweatpants for that one day you cannot get up, but you have to.

21. Use Ibuprofen or Advil, not Midol.

22. No girl worth keeping will think it is attractive when you are a jerk to her.

23. Some girls have been hurt so bad that it is hard to get close to them. Do not give up.

24. Cheating is not a mistake.

25. Doing something more than once is not a mistake.

26. Excuses are a sign of immaturity.

27. NEVER SETTLE FOR ANYONE.

28. You deserve someone who knows 110% that they want you and ONLY you.

29. You deserve someone to be there when days are dull and when they could not be better.

30. You deserve someone who will not get bored of you.

31. Do your laundry before you do not have any underwear left.

32. All-nighters are unnecessary. We need sleep.

33. Do not cram the night before a test. Your brain will not remember anything.

34. Go to class. You want that diploma.

35. Always do at least one thing to pamper yourself. But if it is expensive, I am sure there is something else.

35. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!! You will thank yourself when you have a boat someday.

36. If your boyfriend/girlfriend has a close friend, DO NOT HATE THEM!!!!! Become their friend so you are not jealous.

37. If your girlfriend/boyfriend has siblings, make it your life mission to get on their good side. Just trust me.

38. Do NOT get mad at your girlfriend/boyfriend for picking their friends sometimes. They can not deal with your shit 24/7.

39. Just wear what you want, not everyone is going to approve.

40. Guys, seriously just give us your nicest hoodie with no questions asked.

41. I hate to break it to all of you, but life is not anything close to the movies. Girls fart and boys will not give you their jacket because they get cold too.

42. Do not do something you will later regret, just because you are angry.

43. NO ONE IS PERFECT!!!!!!!!

44. You will not get everything you want.

45. You will get let down multiple times.

46. "I will not leave you," DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING!!! Actions speak louder than words.

47. Things change and people change. We tend to just grow out of one another. Do not blame yourself for growing apart.

48. Thank your parents. They have done so much more for you than you realize right now.

49. If you have siblings, learn to love them. I promise that they will be your partner in crime one day. Maybe literally.

50. Do not give up on yourself. You were born with a purpose.

51. You are not lesser without someone.

52. I know it is hard to hear, but there will always be someone better than you.

53. Strive to be the best "you" that you can be, not better than anyone else.

54. Eat junk food sometimes. Salad gets boring and we do not live forever.

55. Just use protection. Yes, use a condom. For everyone's sake.

56. Get a job before a career. Learn how to interact with people and obtain skills that will look good on a resume.

57. Everyone makes mistakes. Learn from them instead of making them again.

58. In college, you have mental breakdowns often. It's normal.

59. Picking a career is difficult.

60. You may not love your brown eyes, but someone does.

61. If you want something, go get it. Do not depend on fate.

62. You will find happiness, but..

63. Good things really do take time.

64. Do not rush anything. You will want that time back.

65. Smile sweetheart, it looks good on you.

66. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

67. You might think you know everything, but you do not.

68. Your parents have lived longer than you have. Listen to what they have to say.

69. Life is unfair, but it is unfair to everyone.

70. Learn to love yourself. It will make a world of difference.

Most importantly, I want you to know that you are going to be okay. Things may be hard now, but it will not last forever. You are unique and wonderful, so do not let anyone tell you any different. The world has a million possibilities, go explore them.

With love, Jess xx