7 Healthy Habits To Pick Up This Spring

7 Healthy Habits To Pick Up This Spring

4. Drink More Water

95
7 Healthy Habits To Pick Up This Spring
Huffington Post

Happy April Everyone!! With spring finally here and summer soon approaching, what better time to start living a healthier lifestyle? Here are a few easy changes and additions you can make to your everyday life in order to be healthier this spring!

1. Breakfast

Starting the day with a healthy breakfast is the first step to becoming a healthier person each day! I know a lot of people like to skip breakfast but it's proven that those who do not eat breakfast often eat more throughout the day! Eating a well-balanced breakfast will help you stay full before lunch and ready to take on any early morning tasks. Not only does it give you a nice morning boost of energy, it also gives your metabolism a boost! In addition, because you will not be as hungry, you will be more likely to make healthier options for lunch and dinner! A great idea if you do not feel you have enough time in the morning for breakfast is to prepare something the night before, such as some fruit and yogurt, and take it to go! Some of my favorite breakfast options include greek yogurt with granola and some fresh fruit or egg whites with whole wheat toast!

2. Get In Some Extra Walking

Whether this means walking to class/work instead of driving (if you live close enough) or even parking farther away from the entrance to get the extra walk in, extra walking is a super easy a great addition to your everyday life! Some benefits of walking include helping to maintain a healthy weight and helping to manage your blood pressure!

3. Healthy Snacking Between Meals

Of course, it is normal to get hungry in between meals, but I always try and make an effort to eat healthy snacks! One of my favorites is cut up apples, or some dried fruit and nuts!

4. Drink More Water

Everyone is always told to drink 8 cups of water a day, but who really does? I know I definitely could drink more water each day and that is one addition I am making to my life this month! The benefits of drinking water are truly endless, but some benefits include boosting your immune system and improving skin complexion!

5. Stop Drinking Your Calories

One thing that people often do not realize is how many calories they consume every day simply from different beverages! One major thing to take out of your day to day life if you are trying to be healthier is any form of soda, diet or regular! Regular soda is loaded with sugar and diet is loaded with fake sugar, and this is just only one of the many reasons soda should NOT be a part of your life! Another beverage often containing unhealthy things is iced coffee! I know this may come as a surprise as iced coffee has practically no fat and calories however when you add half a cup of whole milk and two packs of sugar, that definitely just made a healthy option super unhealthy! Personally, I love coffee from Starbucks, especially on Mondays when I have classes from 8am-8pm! One way to still be able to enjoy a nice Starbucks drink is to order what you want, however, with simple healthier changes such as nonfat milk! In addition, some of Starbucks iced teas and refreshers have very few calories and fat and are just as delicious and refreshing as the frappuccinos. These are some great and easy swaps if you are looking to make healthy changes but still need that caffeine throughout the day!

6. Dessert: Fruit over Sweets

One of the best switches to make is eating some fruit for dessert instead of pastries or sweets, and some of the best fruits are now finally in season! A few of my favorite fruits this time of year are honeydew, mangos, and strawberries. All fruits have so many health benefits including; nourishing your skin, hydrating your body and improving eye health! Eating some sweet fruit instead of candy is a great start to living a healthier life!

7. Stretch and Exercise!

This one is my favorite! So many people complain that they have no time throughout the day to workout or stretch, I know I always used to as well! One change I made in the past few months is to get in some stretching and exercising somewhere throughout the day and if I can't find the time, I will do it right before bed! It can seriously be two minutes long, and just added to your nighttime or morning routine! For example, before you jump in the shower sit on the floor and do a set of pushups and sit ups and then a few stretches, just to keep your body strong and healthy!

These are just a few changes you can make to your everyday life if you are trying to be healthier this spring and maybe looking to get in better shape for beach season! Enjoy the beautiful spring weather that we will soon be receiving and keep making healthy choices! Before you know it, the summer will be here and you will have the healthy body and lifestyle that you keep talking about!!