16 Healthy Snacks To Keep In Your Dorm
Education

16 Healthy Snacks To Keep In Your Dorm

Because college is stressful enough without struggling to maintain a healthy diet.

13334
healthy dorm snacks

Suddenly, you're on your own.

No one is making you workout every day.

Your mom isn't there to keep you from having pizza for the third time that day or to tell you that maybe you should put down that large Coke, considering you haven't had water in five days.

Before you know it, all of the cliche warnings about your health taking a turn for the worse your freshman year are suddenly your real life, and you're basically the poster-child for the stereotypical unhealthy college student.

While there is no magic fix, having some of these healthy snacks in your dorm can make you think twice before you order that box of Insomnia Cookies to be delivered (I said think, OK?):

1. Almonds

These are definitely a must-have when looking for healthy dorm snacks! They are super easy to eat on-the-go, whether it be on your way to class or post-workout, and they are high in protein, fiber, vitamin E and magnesium, making them good for your heart. Plus, they come in about a million different flavors/seasonings. For chocolate lovers like me, cocoa or dark chocolate roasted almonds are a great choice, but there are also flavors like the classic salted or BBQ.

2. Popcorn

Microwave popcorn is often touted as being super unhealthy--but it doesn't have to be. As long as you don't go for the triple-butter flavor or add chocolate chips and M&M's to your kettle corn, popcorn can be a great healthy snack to keep in your dorm for those Netflix movie nights. Go for the 100-calorie single-serving bags, and you can easily get your salty, sweet or buttery fix without going on a calorie-overload! The challenge? Only eating one bag.

3. Oatmeal

OK, yes, this may seem a little odd to think of as a snack. But don't knock it until you try it! Keep the little instant oatmeal cups or packets (like those by Quaker that can found literally anywhere) stocked up, and within minutes you can have a whole-grain, high-fiber and protein-rich snack. You can even add fruit or nuts, if you're feeling fancy!

4. Veggies & Low-fat Dip/Hummus

You knew this would be on here.

But really, veggies are the epitome of healthy snacks for college students. Fill up your mini-fridge with baby carrots, bell peppers, celery (for you crazy people), etc., along with some hummus (again, do you just like torturing yourselves??) or low-fat dip, like fat-free ranch. These are great for when you just need something to munch on but don't want to waste the calories!

5. Rice Cakes

Again, don't just write these off simply because you only ever tried the plain ones your grandma forced on you that tasted like styrofoam. These actually come in tons of flavors--I'm talking anywhere from cheddar and ranch to caramel and chocolate. They are super low-calorie, too (which basically means you have an excuse to eat more than one, duh).

6. Granola Bars

Granola bars can be a great healthy snack option to keep in your dorm--if you choose the right ones. Don't go for the obviously very processed bars that are 70 percent sugar and dipped in chocolate and expect that these will count as "healthy." Go for the bars (chewy or crunchy!) that are lower in calories and are more natural, like those by Larabar or Nature Valley.

7. Sweet Potatoes

OK, LOVE these.

Don't let the fact that this vegetable has "potato" in its name fool you--the sweet potato is the Queen of Healthy. Seriously, this is the first thing I suggest when my college friends ask for healthy snack ideas to keep in their dorm rooms! Even though sweet potatoes are starchy vegetables, they are fairly low-calorie and are low on the glycemic index, meaning your body will take longer to break down the sugars in your blood, which will prevent there being a sharp spike in your blood sugar.

They are also uber full of antioxidants like beta-carotene (good for your skin!) and anthocyanin. Just make a few shallow slices or poke a few holes with a fork, wrap it in a damp paper towel, pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and enjoy!

P.S. I love love love these with a little honey or natural sweetener!

8. Fruit

This is another obvious one. Fruit should be a staple dorm snack for any college student who wants to eat healthily, but they are often overlooked because many fruits can go bad quickly (and we're busy, OK?).

So, if you don't trust yourself to eat fruit before it starts to stink up your dorm room, try things like dried fruit or canned fruit that has no sugar added and no preservatives. Just make sure with dried fruits that you stick to the portion sizes and check out the ingredients beforehand (hint: no added sugars)!

9. Dark Chocolate

Because any healthy college diet should ALWAYS include chocolate.

However, while splurging every once in a while on candy bars or M&M's is definitely OK, a great way to keep your chocolate craving in check is to keep dark chocolate around. My favorites are Hershey's Kisses Special Dark Mildly Sweet Chocolates and Hershey's Special Dark Nuggets... and yes, I just went to grab a couple (OK, like the whole bag).

10. Greek Yogurt

It's low-calorie, packed with protein, a good source of calcium and comes in about a zillion different flavors.

You can even scoop it out of the little individual containers into a pretty bowl and throw some all-natural honey and granola on top for that basic Insta pic so everyone can see your #healthycollegesnack (sarcasm FULLY intended).

11. Nut/Seed Butters

Nut butters, like actual nuts themselves, are a good source of omega-3 fats (the good kind!), protein, and fiber, which will help you stay fuller longer.

Also, a huge plus is that nut butters are often sweet--meaning they are the perfect dorm snack for the healthy girl who also can't resist her sweet tooth (just don't sit there and eat it by the spoonful like me)!

If you have a nut allergy, though, seed butters are a solid alternative. Though not as sweet, they have many of the same nutrients as nut butters. Use to dip your veggies in or to spread on some whole grain toast, and you've basically been initiated into the health nut club.

12. Vegetable Chips/Pop Chips

For the Lay's chip addicts (hi, me again), vegetable chips or straws are a great choice. They are light and airy, but still give you that crunchy, salty taste to satisfy any savory craving.

You can also try low-calorie chips like Pop Chips or Lay's Poppables, which have more flavors like sea salt, sour cream and onion, cheddar, BBQ and more (seriously, whatever your little heart desires).

13. Pretzels

https://pixabay.com/en/pretzel-baked-goods-pretzels-crispy-2759994/

Speaking of low-calorie, crunchy and salty, hellllooooo pretzels. Enough said.

14. String Cheese

They've got protein and calcium, so you can feel like a responsible adult college student choosing a healthy snack... but your 10-year-old self is also loving pulling apart the cheese into as tiny of strands as possible.

Plus, quesadillas. Need I say more?

15. Sugar-Free Pudding

I have a problem with sweets, OK?

But seriously, at only about 70-100 calories a serving, sugar-free pudding is like the premiere healthy snack for college students who can't go a day without their sweet-fix!

I always keep Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Snack Packs on hand because when princess Sarah needs her chocolate, she BETTER get some (which may or may not be like every hour or so...).

16. Flavored Water

While not technically a "snack," water is a duh when it comes to being healthy. For those like me who would rather go for a drink that actually has a little taste to it, flavored water is the saving grace.

You can go for flavor add-ins like MiO or Propel, or you can even buy cans or bottles of flavored water like Clear American or LaCroix (although, if you say you like LaCroix, I will 100 percent question everything you say ever again).

No more excuses here, because there are obviously a ton of healthy snack options for college students.

So plan ahead: stock your dorm with these beforehand and save yourself from all of (OK, most of) those 2 a.m. Netflix munch fests and late-night ice cream runs!

Note: As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.

From Your Site Articles