7 Ways To Love Your Single Self

7 Ways To Love Your Single Self

Don't let Valentine's Day bring you down. Enjoy being single and being you.

199
7 Ways To Love Your Single Self

You know what doesn't stink? Being single. Valentine's Day just passed, and while it might have been hard to walk around campus, work, or random streets seeing fluttering hearts around couples, it made me remember how lucky I am to be on my own, dating myself, and you should feel this way, too.

No, this is not a chronicle about being an egoist, but it's more of a spoonful of daily advice. Before you love anyone, you HAVE to love yourself. The cliche is strong with this topic, but it's true. Having a healthy amount of self-respect is not the same as being cocky, conceded, or narcissistic. It is necessary and vital to one's being, and "dating yourself" is fun! So here are some tips to implement into your routine so you can start loving your single-self.

1. Wake up and stretch.

Getting up in the morning can be a drag, but stretching out your tiredness gets your body ready for the day. It's like a mini yoga session in your bed. You start becoming more awake, more alert, and more prepared to leave the solitude of warmth underneath your covers. Just make sure not to stretch too much because you'll get a charley horse. Trust me, they are not amusing.

2. Smile BEFORE you look in the mirror.

If you look at yourself and the first image you see is of your smiling face, you will already boost your confidence. I know it's hard, especially if you're an early riser, but it does trigger happiness within oneself.

According to Psychology Today, smiling releases neuropeptides, which attack anxiety and stress, to neurons. When the neurons interact, they tell the body to feel glad. Then the "happy hormones" like dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin circulate through your system, producing a beneficial outcome for both your physical and mental confidence.

If you smile before looking at your reflection, your stress levels will already be decreasing and how you perceive yourself will change as well. A surging wave of the "Let's conquer today!" mindset will appear, and you will actually feel good. You might even find yourself not critiquing your outfit, hair, or body as much because you know that you look great.

To add onto this step, choose an outfit that is guaranteed to make you feel awesome. Whether it's that vintage band t-shirt or chic sweater, find clothes you genuinely enjoy wearing. For me, red is my "confident color." Every time I wear it in some way, my self-esteem boosts up to a new level.

3. Eat a totally "you" breakfast.

Don't skip breakfast or skimp out on it. Eat your favorite dish. To quote Parks and Recreation in season 4, episode 4, "Treat yo self!" Nosh on a bowl of cereal, an omelette, some cream chip beef, whatever makes you satisfied. My go-to breakfast foods are eggs and bananas. It never fails to fill me up and get me motivated.

4. Work and workout with pride.

Whether you have a job or not, take pride in what you put out. Everyone has a duty or task to complete, so instead of slacking off or moping about it, reflect on your inner potential. Set standards for yourself, and do not expect anything less. This will increase your determination to finish your job on time but also "in style." You want your work to reflect who you are; you want to have people remembering what you did.

Have fun with what you do. There is always an opportunity to transform a dull assignment into an interactive activity. For example, when I took a math class, I was terrified at first. As an English major, I knew it was not my strong suit, but I realized that if I put forth effort and dedicated myself to the class, I would walk out with high marks, and I did. You might not enjoy doing the work, but setting goals for yourself will better both your output and self-worth when you succeed.

Working out can be annoying, too. I get up at 6:00 in the morning three times a week to workout. It's exhausting at times, but when I get "in the zone," there is no stopping me. I'm like a machine. Develop some sort of exercise routine and follow it weekly. It doesn't have to be an hour long, but just 5 minutes can increase energy, memory, and pride. You will look at yourself differently and feel a sense of accomplishment.

5. Jam out to music and embrace the weirdness.

Blast music out loud in your room (as long as it doesn't disturb anyone), with headphones on, or by any means necessary. Find that one playlist that gets you grooving or pumped up. Music is an amazing invention, tool, and friend. It is always there even when the world seems against you. You can rely on it, and I think we all have that one song that makes us say, "Hey, I'm pretty cool!"

Dance a bit. Hum to it. Bob your head to the beat. It doesn't matter if people are watching. When I go to the gym, I have specific songs that get my feet running faster on the treadmill or make me shake dumbbells like maracas. Even when I drive, I'll put my windows up and rock out to music. I don't care if people see my awful lip syncing. I'm having a good time, and that's what counts. People understand that sometimes the tunes are too good not to jam to. They get it; they get the weirdness.

6. Be kind to others.

Showing respect to your peers is a key aspect in living as a person and in loving yourself. If you can't show people kindness, you can't truly show it to yourself. Saying "hello" to passersby, waving at a classmate or coworker, or making someone else smile is one of the best feelings. For me, entertaining people is what I love to do. When I cause laughter, I appreciate who I am more. Then later on, I'll think back to that moment when I helped someone enjoy a little chuckle and feel better about myself.

Even if the person you're kind to ignores it or is not nice back, shrug it off. Don't let it play in your mind or make you think you did something wrong because you didn't. You were the decent human being in the situation. You offered a bit of sunshine, and they were the ones who fogged it up for themselves. No matter what, and this goes for self-esteem and for everything, be benevolent.

7. Know that you choose to be single.

Relationships do not pop out of thin air. They are cultivated and grown, but sometimes none of the crops seem appealing to you or you're not surrounded by the ones you'd prefer. That's okay.

The point of my agriculture analogy is that you are not required to be in a relationship nor are you forced to like anyone in a romantic way. Sometimes the spark isn't there, and you choose to not be with someone. Yes, you choose this. It is your decision whether to pursue a relationship or not, and if you are single, acknowledge that you can have anyone you desire, but it is your choice. I think to myself, "If I want to be with someone, I could, but right now isn't a good time." I would also say, "I'm content in being with me." Please understand that you are worthy of anyone but remain single for your benefit. Maybe work occupies too much of your time. Maybe you enjoy being a "lone wolf." Your reasons are justified whatever they are. Be happy with your position. Love dating yourself for the moment.

So there you have it. My short list of how to love your single-self. Self-love is a phenomenal quality to have, and possessing it will not only better your life, but it will impact those around you. They'll admire your confidence and strive to be proud of themselves as well. Don't sit at home and pout; instead, show yourself some love and start showing it daily. It'll only make you more comfortable in your own skin.