7 Things I Wish I Could Say To My Former Self

This is a letter to the person I used to be.

56

Dear Zach,

I know you're struggling right now, and that's okay. I promise you everything is going to be okay. If you don't believe me, I have all the proof you need. Here are a few things I want you to know in the meantime.

Your bullies will fade away.

Just ignore them. They don't dislike you, they dislike themselves. You are stronger than them. Please, no more crying when you get home from school. The people bullying you are your inspiration to be a better person than them.

You are not fat.

I know you struggle with this every day. Once again, do not listen to the bullies calling you fat, because you aren't. You haven't hit your growth spurt yet, but when you do, you'll be even more of a stud than you already are!

Your writing is not stupid, people love it. Just wait.

You aren't a strange kid because you're obsessed with words and writing! It is your biggest strength and will become the one true way to share your voice with the world. Don't pay attention to kids who make fun of you for "writing too much" on your assignments. Writing is going to get you through many tough times in your life where you feel lost and completely hopeless. The notebooks and pens are your tools to build your own world, so don't be afraid to explore! Don't be afraid to share your writing with people, I have a feeling they just might like it and share your perspective.

You have the most amazing friends.

You really do. Some of them are your closest friends right now. You lose some, and you pick up more along the way. Through thick and then, your true friends are always there for you. They support you in every way, and would go to the ends of the Earth for you. It's really a great thing. It's so nice to be able to fully trust people. You might fight every now and then, but the feelings will always remain the same. Make sure to embrace the time you have with your friends, as one day you will go your separate ways in life.

Your family loves you very much.

Your Momma is the very best. She is the strongest woman in the world, and the #1 woman in your life forever. There is not a single thing she wouldn't do for you. She always has your very best interests at heart, and she is rarely wrong. Make sure to tell her you love her every chance you get, because you do. Spend all the time together you can, as you will both miss each other very much when you leave for college. Your two sisters, Olivia and Addie, are two of your best friends (believe it or not). You will fight with them a lot, they will annoy you constantly, but that's what siblings do. They would do anything for you. You'll drift away from Olivia when she goes to college, but you'll end up closer than ever when you go to Indiana State with her! She will be your second mom in Terre Haute, which is pretty cool (most of the time). Addie may be hard to deal with sometimes, but she truly loves you too. You guys are more alike than you would think.

Your dad won't be around forever.

It hurts me to have to tell you this. I wish there was another way. I encourage you to spend every moment you can with your dad. I know you're a loner by heart, but you're going to wish you had more of the little moments someday. Your dad loves you, and the feeling is mutual. You need to know that he would stay with you forever if he could. You are going to question everything when you lose him. There is nothing I can say- no advice I can give- to prepare you for how much it will hurt. Not many are going to understand what you're going through. They will try to help not knowing that it is not possible to help. Just nod through it. Your dad will be the biggest inspiration in your life. Your last words to him are "I love you" but make sure he knows in the meantime. Just know that someday you'll be able to look back without endless tears. Some days are harder than others, but you will be thankful that your father shaped the man you become.

Depression will not defeat you.

Depression is hideous, and you will figure that out firsthand. You don't deserve to be depressed, but you are going to have to fight through it. You have many people around you that love and care for you, and want to see you be happy. But you're going to have to defeat depression on your own in the end. It won't be easy. You'll be tired constantly. Your smile will be fake sometimes. Your food will taste like cardboard for the most part. You're so good at hiding your depression that most people will have no clue. Keep writing, as it's the only thing that will keep you sane. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, but it will end. I promise.