7 Relatable Olympic Sports For College Students

Why participate in gymnastics when you could do a competition for eating pizza?

29
Deadspin

I wanted to be in the Olympics when I was a kid. I mean what kid doesn’t want to be a famous athlete? I remember being obsessed with Nadia Comaneci in second grade (she was the first female gymnast to score a perfect 10). I also went as Mia Hamm for Halloween in fifth grade. However, I never put in the necessary work or practice into whatever recreational sport I was playing at the time, whether it be volleyball or gymnastics, so I was never really destined for that mythical gold medal. But, being a full-time student with coursework and a social life is enough of a sport to juggle itself. So, after watching the Opening Ceremonies, I thought, what if there was some kind of college Olympics that offered more realistic sports for college students? Such as competitions to see who can pull an all-nighter without energy drinks or coffee, or who can eat the most pizza in one sitting? Behold, for I have come up with seven relatable “sports” that college students could do in the Olympics.

1. Netflix Binging

This “sport” could consist of who can watch a whole show the fastest (bathroom and snack breaks go against your time), or who can watch one season of a show the fastest. Just like with gymnastics, where there are different sections like balance beam or floor gymnastics, this activity could be split up into two sections.

2. All-nighters

This would be pulling an all-nighter the old-fashioned way, with no cheats, which would include anything with caffeine or sugar that would help you stay awake. You couldn’t take power naps during the all-nighter either, because the point of an all-nighter is to stay up and awake all night. The winner would be the first person to stay completely awake, and the loser would be the person who passes out.

3. Last-minute Papers

There would be a paper due for a class, and two procrastinators would start at 11 p.m. with the paper being due at 11:59 PM. It wouldn’t be a long paper, maybe a two page minimum, but you have to get it done in an hour. The first person to turn the paper in wins.

4. Pizza Eating

You know those hotdog eating contests? Well this would be a pizza eating contest that be an Olympic “sport.” The last person standing who eats the most pizza wins.

5. Finals Cramming

This would b a combination of studying at the last minute and pulling an all-nigther. There would be a group of people studying for the same final, and they all have to pull an all-nighter and cram everything they learned at the last minute. The students can use caffeine and sugar to stay awake, but whoever gets the highest score on the final, wins. This would be a pretty crappy Olympic “sport”.

6. Water Gun Fight

Two teams (different class years) would get Nerf water guns and have an all-out campus water gun fight. If you get hit, you're down, and the first team to get all of the opposing team’s players down win. This can also apply to a Nerf gun fight.

7. Pillow Sliding

Some friends and I did this, and while you could potentially hurt yourself from this (if you do this at all, please be careful!), it is super fun to do. You take a pillow (a throw pillow works best), and you put your chest on it and launch yourself to the floor to see how far you can slide. The person who slides the farthest and/or crashes the least, wins.

While these won’t offer you the chance to be in the actual Olympics, they can be fun. I remember doing a Wacky Olympics with my school in seventh grade, and we did different activities -- such as tug of war and one legged races. While that's obviously fun, but more for middle school, try to come up with different mini games you and friends can do. Do some of these (not the boring ones like writing a paper at the last minute obviously), and host your own mini college Olympics. Whether you decide to get out and party to root on Team USA, watch from the comfort of your dorm, or try your hand at your own specialized Olympics, just remember to have fun and be safe.