7 Safe Hobbies To Start During Your Quarantine

7 CDC-Approved Hobbies To Take Up During Your Coronavirus Quarantine

Please, for the love of God, just stay home.

2678
@sophiabush

Coronavirus (COVID-19) has officially taken the world by storm and it has many people social distancing and going absolutely stir crazy in their homes. It was fun at first — when you really wanted a slight extension on your spring break or just a few days off from work — but now you got exactly what you wished for and so much more. Now, you're begging for your life to go back to normal.

Many people, including myself, have hit rock bottom with this boredom thing. I truly have had enough of this cycle of going to bed late, waking up late, staying in my pj's all day until it's time to shower and put on clean pj's, grazing on snacks all day long, and bingeing Netflix while napping between meals to pass the time. If you are in the same predicament as I am and are looking for a new hobby to pass the time in this period of self-isolation, other than watching TV, check out these hobbies to add some activity to your quarantine.

1. Coloring

This one is my personal favorite and hobby of choice always, but especially in this time of social distancing. Adult coloring books can be as cheap as $1 from the dollar store, or can be purchased for cheap on Amazon if you're on total lockdown and can't make it to the store. I like to color with gel pens, which can also be ordered or found at any local Target, Walmart, etc., but if you don't want to splurge on the good stuff, you can use any pack of colored pencils or markers lying around your house.

2. Baking and cooking

Facebook

A lot of people are using this time cooped up in their house to learn how to cook or bake. This is something that can be super fun and easy while being able to get the whole family, (or quarantine squad), involved.

3. Spring cleaning

You may have forgotten in all this pandemic craziness and panic, but spring has sprung! Take this time off to go through your closets, attics, and garages and get rid of all of your junk. Many charities and shelters are still doing pickup during this outbreak and will take any donations, sanitize them, and then repurpose them for donations!

4. Reading

So many people grew up hating reading after being forced to read books they didn't like or gain a certain amount of AR points every quarter/semester and as a future English teacher, I'm here to tell you to give books another shot! There are millions and billions of books out there waiting to be read and there's so many genres and styles that there is something for absolutely everyone. There's even a myriad of free books offered through the Books app that comes with your iPhone or very cheap E-book options to download if you can't get to the store.

5. Tanning

For all my fellow southern friends out there, it is super hot outside and we should still take advantage of that while were under self-isolation. Throw a towel down in your backyard or use that super nice patio furniture you spent a fortune on but barely use and layout for a few hours! Just because there may not be any water in your backyard doesn't mean you can't enjoy the warm sun and get fresh air! Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses, that book you picked out, or a speaker with your favorite music, and a reusable water bottle and pretend you're at one of the temporarily closed beaches.

6. Learn how to dance

Tik Tok is the newest social media craze and although my campers have been begging me to get on this app since summer 2019, I finally caved a few weeks ago and downloaded it. Not only is it addicting, but it is constantly buzzing with new content and is fairly easy to learn how to use and navigate. One of the biggest fads on Tik Tok is dancing or lip-syncing to pre-recorded audio sounds and there are thousands of videos out there to give you inspiration. If you always wanted to learn how to dance, this is your chance!! You're stuck in your house for the next few weeks of your life, at least, and you can use these teens doing tutorials on Tik Tok to teach you how to dance and keep you young and trendy. 10/10 recommend downloading. You don't even have to post any videos!

7. At-home fitness

All gyms are pretty much shut down at this point because they are literal breeding grounds for coronavirus. Make sure you don't gain that quarantine 20 and keep the weight off from all the quarantine snacks you already finished by taking up fitness as a hobby. First of all, it's good for you to keep active and stay in a normal routine for those of you that work out regularly. Especially in a time of increased eating and interesting eating patterns, it is good to keep in the habit of working out regularly. For those of you that have been swearing up and down that you're going to start working out, this is also a good hobby for you because seriously...what else do you have to do??

Make working out part of your daily routine and it may even help the day go by faster. Various gyms are posting free workout videos and even live-streaming their classes in addition to the hundreds of apps (seven-minute workout is my fave) and videos online you can use to stay active. Also, a good 'ole walk/run around your neighborhood can never hurt, and you can get outside!

In all seriousness, COVID-19 is a global pandemic. Do your part in minimizing the spreading and risk attached to the virus by staying home, practicing social distancing and self-isolation, cleaning well and often, and supporting your local businesses/each other. These are trying times. Everyone is struggling, many people are losing jobs or being forced on unpaid leave, or are even being forced to work in large offices of people despite the national crisis. Take things seriously, stay home, and pick up one of these hobbies while you're at it. It might seem extreme now, but the fewer people that are together and out the less spreading and risk occur. Wash your hands, tell your loved ones you care about them, and be responsible.

Stay safe and be well everyone!