7 Basic Things You Can Do To Help Maintain Your Mental Health

Mental illnesses can be exhausting and life altering - here's a few tips to ensure your everyday life supports your mental health.

13

I was first diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in March of 2015. Prior to my diagnosis, I lived with mental illness for over a decade, unmedicated and without an accurate idea of what was wrong with me. This lack of thorough mental health care, in part due to inept therapists and psychiatrists who would misdiagnose me for years, I found myself self-medicating in negative and harmful ways. Binge Eating Disorder made its way into my life and burrowed itself deep. Despite my negative coping mechanisms, I fostered many positive ones as well. I figured out what actions I could take to bring calm and stability to my life and I began fostering the things that brought me happiness.

I feel like this is sort of obvious, but I'm going to state it anyway: I am, in no way, shape, or form, either a medical doctor nor a psychiatrist. I am a big advocate for those with mental health struggles to find the treatment that works best for them - for me, that means seeing a therapist, a psychiatrist, and utilizing prescribed medication. However, although I engage all three of these options, I still find myself struggling with mood instability and anxiety. With all those disclaimers being said, here are 7 (very) basic things I do to help manage my mental health.

1. Light candles.

Our olfactory memories are crazy strong. One of the strongest features of odor memory in humans is the "ability of odors to vividly trigger the evocation of emotional experiences."

In layman's terms? If you feel safe and happy at your Grandma's house when she's baking cookies, a candle with a similar scent may bring back those same emotions of safety and happiness. I've found that if I'm having issues with my anxiety, lighting candles with familiar scents can help de-escalate my manic and anxious behaviors. I'm a big fan of the mood lighting that candles bring, but if wax melts or aromatherapy are more your thing - have at it!

2. Dim lighting

I have one of those Himalayan salt lamps, given to me by one of my best friends (you're the best, Kalvin), and it has definitely changed the tone and feel of my room. Just like the dimming features on phones or computers, most people usually avoid harsh, artificial light. Bright lighting is meant to engage and illuminate, rather than calm and relax. Scientists are even reporting that dim lighting can cause "people become more rational, negotiate better, and are therefore able to make better decisions." If I'm having issues calming my anxiety, I try to draw the blinds and dim my lighting. If you haven't experienced the wonder of a salt lamp, pick up your own.

3. No screens. Seriously.

Before you roll your eyes at me, let me throw up a disclaimer about how much I love my phone. I'm connected to it at the hip and it's taken me a long time to realize just how much of a toll this love (i.e. obsession) is taking on my eyesight and mental health. I'm not suggesting you throw your phone out and live like a hermit on the Maine coast, but I'm telling you the nights I put down my phone and read before bed, I fall asleep easier and don't wake up as much (it's a real scientific study I did by myself). But if you don't believe me, listen to the crazy smart scientists who agree that the harsh lighting and stimulation on phones and computers keep us from what we all want: deep, drool-on-the-pillow sleep.

4. Just breathe. In and out.

You know who's smart? The scientists and professors at Harvard. And you know what they say? That breathing exercises can help kill stress and all the nasty health problems that come with it (headaches, muscle tension and pain, fatigue, sleep problems, anxiety, irritability, sadness..... you get the idea). I know what you're thinking. "Sara, breathing techniques are for pregnant women!" and yeah, that's true, but breathing control is a method used by many to manage stress in the body. I've found that deep breathing can lower my heart rate during some of my anxiety attacks but if you won't take my word for it (and that's just rude), listen to the smarties at Harvard.

5. Take a walk

A lot of the mentality behind walking is that it is an activity solely utilized by people who want to lose weight. I have my own qualms about how we view exercise as a culture, but right now I'm looking at the connection between exercise (specifically walking) and mental health. Studies at Stanford show a direct link between mood and walking in nature - mainly, you feel better when you take a walk through a park or somewhere outside that is aesthetically pleasing. There are also a lot of studies that show the benefits of exercise on mood and stress management. I'm certainly not telling you to start running marathons or competing in Iron Mans, but if you're feeling particularly low and light exercise is something you can manage, try to get out for a little bit. Take your dog for a walk or go out to a park or hiking trail. If you live in Virginia like me, the Manassas Battlefields are gorgeous in the fall.

6. Change your sheets

I'm not your mom (I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere) so I can't tell you how to improve your hygiene. But if I WAS your mom (again, gotta be a zinger in there), I would tell you to change your sheets more often. Dead skin cells and dust mites are laden with allergens that can provoke asthma and rhinitis and may also worsen eczema or increase your chances of catching a cold. One of the best feelings in the world (in my opinion) is freshly washed sheets. Next time you're in a depressive low and need comfort or dealing with hightened anxiety, try washing your sheets, pillowcases, etc. At the very least, you'll be taking care of your physical health by preventing several issues that can exacerbate breathing and skin issues.

7. Drink more water

I normally drink a metric shit-ton (real unit of measurement) of water every day, but when I don't, I can feel it. I'm sluggish and fatigued and apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way. A study conducted by Coleen Muñoz showed that "greater the water consumption, the better the mood. Tension, depression, and confusion scores went down when water intake went up." Now, don't just start chugging water; if you're unsure about how much to drink every day, the great people over at the Mayo Clinic have calculated that out for you.

Like I said, these tips aren't meant to diagnose or cure mental illness (as many are not 'curable' diseases, only managable) but they are tips that I've picked up from my decade of experience dealing with mood instability and anxiety. Hopefully trying some of these out the next time you need to bring order to your space will give you some comfort and calm.