6 Ways to Avoid the Freshman (Or Any Other Year) 15

Simple Lifestyle Changes to Keep Healthy as A Busy Student
3

After the holidays, it can be hard to avoid that post-turkey and sweets weight gain- especially when going right back to school. Too busy to go to the gym every day? Here are some simple ways to stay healthy and prevent weight gain as a college student.

1. Walk. EVERYWHERE.

To class, to the library, to the dining hall, to the gym! (and skip the Uber when you go out)

This will keep you moving and burning calories throughout the day.

2. Portion Control

For those who eat at the dining hall, it can be tempting to go back and grabs seconds or thirds.. or fourths. Limit yourself to only one plate and try to make one of the things on your plate a fruit, vegetable or whole grain.

3. Avoid Beer (and any sugary mixed drinks)

10/10 would recommend a gin or vodka and tonic.

4. 30 Minute Workouts

If you're low on time, hit the gym for half an when you have a break throughout the day. HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts are short, intense workouts that quickly increase your heart rate and can improve cardiovascular health. For some easy workouts, visit http://dailyburn.com/life/db/hiit-workouts-for-beg...

5. Drink Water/Tea Instead of Soda/Juice

Switch out your juice or soda for water or tea. If you need something with my flavor, try infusing your water with berries, herbs, etc. Learn how here: http://helloglow.co/infused-water-ideas/

6. Pay Attention to What You Eat

It may be hard to count calories and macros every day. If so, just pay attention to what you're eating. try to work in a fruit, vegetable, whole grain or lean meat into every meal and limit yourself to junk food, pizza and ramen once a week.

Staying on a diet and exercise routine can be hard in college with a busy schedule. However, working these tips into your everyday life can keep extra weight off and keep you healthy while in school.