Bible Verses To Help Depression

23 Bible Verses To Help Brighten A Depressed Heart

The sadness may be here right now, but joy comes in the morning.

147
https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/depressed-woman-sitting-in-the-dark-bedroom-gm680834894-124805403

Depression is something that is familiar to a lot of people and they go through it every day. God acknowledges this in many verses within the Bible and gives us Christians some great words to look at when we feel that darkness creeping into our heart. No matter what is going on in your life, remember that God is with you and He has a plan. He is walking with you through every hard moment and will guide you through the darkness and into his light.

Here are my favorite 23 Bible verses to get you through this season of depression:

1. Psalm 55:22

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."

2. Psalm 34:18 

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

3. Ephesians 2:19-22

"Whenever you feel unloved, unimportant or insecure, remember to whom you belong."

4. Micah 7:8

"For though I fall, I will rise again. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light."

5. Psalm 147:3

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

Romans 8:38-39

"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

7. Psalm 63:8

"I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely."

8. Joel 2:25

"God can restore what is broken and change it into something amazing. All you need Is faith."

9. Psalm 40:1-3

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him."

10. John 16:33

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Isaiah 41:10

"Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

12. Ephesians 6:11-18

"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."

13. Psalm 73:26

"My flesh and heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

14. 2 Timothy 1:7

"God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

15. Psalm 31:9

"Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress My eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief."

16. Psalm 119:50

"This is my comfort, my consolation and my breath of fresh air in the midst of my depression and loss, Your Word nourishes and repairs me, it revives my life and your promises restore me and make me whole."

17. Psalm 61:2

"When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

18. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven; a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal."

19. Romans 12:12

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

20. Matthew 11:28

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

21. Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and hope."

22. Psalm 30:5

"For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning."

23. Psalm 23:4

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."