Justa Workin' On My Fitness

Justa Workin' On My Fitness

He's my witness.

21
Justa Workin' On My Fitness
oasisdelosgatos.org

I know as a college student it is hard to stay fit and healthy. I became unhappy with myself after my sophomore year, so I decided to make a change. I signed up in August of 2015 to become a health and fitness coach with Team Beachbody. I don't want you to think that I know everything about health and fitness because I don't. I learn new stuff every day. However, I want to share with you some of the most important things I have learned this past year and I hope maybe it will help you.

Health:

1. Learn proper portion size.

Did you know that you can eat too much of even the healthiest foods? Well, you can! By learning portion control, you learn to track how much food your body actually needs! (Thank you 21 day fix, for teaching me!)

2. Vary your meals.

Change up your meals daily. It's super important to give your body different nutrients. Take advantage of the variety of selections and give your body the good nutrients that it actually needs.

3. Eat breakfast -- it really is the most important meal of the day.

When you eat a healthy breakfast, you tend to eat better throughout the day. I've always heard to eat breakfast like a king. However, eat a healthy and balanced breakfast, not one full of sugary foods.

4. Don't fight your stress by eating.

When you're stressed it's so easy to reach for a bag of chips or a candy bar. Don't do it. Eating will not help your stress. Try taking a break or going for a walk.

5. Keep healthy snacks around for when you want to snack.

When you keep healthy foods around, it's so much easier to eat healthy. Leave the Cheetos on the shelf so you aren't tempted to eat those instead of your fruits and veggies.

7. Drink at least half your body weight in water each day.

Divide your body by two and that's how many fluid ounces of water you should drink a day. Drinking enough water through the day can also help boost your concentration.

8. Try to eat fruits and veggies.

I know fruits and veggies aren't everyone's thing; however, I highly encourage you to incorporate a few fruits and veggies into your diet each day.

9. Limit your sugary and caffeinated beverages.

Beverages will not fill you up, but they will help fatten you up. They also have a negative effect on your overall health. I am saying that you have to completely give up coffee (because I drink black coffee every day) and soda, but limit the intake of them. They hurt you more than they help you.

10. Limit the junk food.

Junk food is fast and you have easy access to it. A lot of students end up eating a lot of it while they are on the go and in between class. A little junk food now and then won't hurt you, but making it a habit will.

11. Don't skip meals.

I know it's easy to skip meals when you have so much going on, but don't. If you know you are going to be busy, plan your meals and take them with you. Eating every meal will give you the energy to keep going.

12. Cheat meals are OK, but cheat days are not.

A little treat now and then isn't going to hurt you. It's a great way to reward yourself for eating a healthy diet. So give yourself a break every once in a while and indulge in something you can't have every day.

Exercise:

1. Stretch!

Want to avoid injuries? Help yourself by stretching before and after every workout. Simple stretches work fine. Doing stretches before and after every workout will help keep you pain free.

2. Work out at least five times a week.

You do not have to spend two hours in the gym each day. You can do a 30 minute workout at your dorm room or apartment and achieve the same goals (only if you do the right kinds of workouts). As long as you are moving and your heart rate speeds up, you are accomplishing something.

3. Take a fitness class.

Every major requires you to take an elective. Use those electives to take a fitness class. You can take it for free since you are already paying for college. It's the perfect way to get in a workout.

4. Walk to class.

Yes, it is probably easier to get a ride to class, but by walking you are working your legs and burning some extra calories.

5. Switch up your workout.

In order to see changes you must switch up your workouts. Incorporate different things like cardio, strength training and stretching exercises. This will keep body guessing what you are going to do next! You are less likely to workout if you become bored with your routine. So make it fun and switch it up!

6. Take a friend with you!

Having an accountability partner is so important. Get you a friend that has the same goals as you and that holds you accountable. Having someone to work out with makes it more fun and enjoyable.