6 Ways To De-Stress

6 Ways To De-Stress

Allow yourself the time and space you need to feel, deal, and heal.

7
6 Ways To De-Stress
Brad Anderson

It’s the second month in the year 2017. We're well on our way to spring, and good things are expected in the coming months. Only, it’s a bit difficult of look forward to those "good things" when the country is in the midst of political turmoil. From the the eve of the 2017 Presidential Inauguration, I've been up in arms combating the feeling of impending doom, and I am sure the feelings I have are not mine alone. Waking up to frightening news and articles about the future of the U.S. is not something I would have expected before this whirlwind of an election, and is not something I would wish on my greatest enemies, had I any. During these times, it’s really easy to fall into bad, potentially detrimental habits that seem to be lingering around lately. While things have become difficult to deal with as of late, it's important for us to take the time to care for ourselves mentally. Taking care of our mental health is a must, an absolute must.

Here are a few things you can do when you're feeling down:

1. Take yourself out.

It may sound a bit weird, but taking yourself out is actually one of the most calming things to do, if I do say so myself. Taking the time out for yourself does not mean you are friendless, lonely or whatever other stigma society seems to place on those of who travel alone. It’s simply a way for you to gather your bearings and get to know yourself. Oftentimes, when we're in the presence of others, we feel the need to be social. Personally, that can quickly become overbearing, especially for my fellow introverts. A night on the town alone, going to see a movie, or even a simple walk around the block will suffice. Literally anywhere is fine, as long as you feel comfortable enough to allow yourself the time to think.

2. Surround yourself with good company.

There are people who are more comfortable in the company of others and that is absolutely fine. In some cases, being alone with your thoughts may be the very reason your stress and anxiety levels are at an absolute high. So, find a buddy or a group of buddies that you care for and vice versa, to help you alleviate those dastardly burdens. I find hanging out with friends, though we don't meet as often as I wish, a great way to take my mind off of things momentarily.

3. Treat yourself.

Treating yourself doesn't mean buying the most expensive shoe in the store or blowing all of your hard earned money on luxurious gifts. It can be as simple as buying yourself that wine you really wanted or even getting your nails or hair done. You should every now and then allow yourself a luxury, no matter how small. Giving yourself a personal reward is a small way of telling yourself that you are doing fine.

4. Take a day off/Mental day.

There are times when we feel like our troubles are getting the best of us and being productive is the last thing on our mind. In one way or another, we’ve all felt like that, and in those times you should consider taking a day for yourself. These days are fairly similar to sick days; when you’re physically sick, you take a day off and it should be no different when you are feeling unwell mentally. These days are important when we need them the most. Perhaps there’s a book you wanted to finish reading, or a story you’ve been writing and haven’t touched in months, or even a t.v. show/movie you’ve been meaning to watch and haven’t had the time to. Accomplishing minor tasks are is a great way to relax, as it boosts your confidence, no matter how small. Taking a day off does not mean that you are being lazy or unproductive, rather it’s a day of recuperation; a way that is relaxing to you and for you. There’s no shame in taking off for your mental health.

5. Get some SLEEP.

As an employed college senior, I cannot stress the importance of sleep enough. You should get some sleep, but not just your average 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I mean get some good sleep, the full 8 hours we're supposed to have. While it's recommended, I know all to well that circumstances like school, work, and other realities come in the way of getting good sleep. In those instances, taking a nap will suffice. Napping during the day can be helpful, if you are blessed with a window of time in your daily schedule and between classes. Try taking a nap. You'll find it gives your mind and body a refresher. You should try to identify just how much sleep you need to feel rested.

6. Talk to someone.

Getting some things off of your chest may be one of the most gratifying feelings in the world. A friend, sibling, partner, parent, teacher, doctor or whomever you trust enough to talk about the things that are going on for you can serious give you a moment on relief. Personally, talking to my siblings have proven effective as they are the people closest to me, the most trustworthy and they often share the same thoughts I do. When things become overwhelming, having someone to talk with can really help you to sort out your thoughts. Talking with someone is also a way of asking for help, if you need it. Do not underestimate the power of getting help. Don’t be afraid to let someone know that you are going through difficult times.

When it comes down to it, finding a way to lessen the harshness of reality falls into your hands. These are only a few suggestions, but you can determine what you are comfortable with and how you go about it. In reality, there’s only so much we can do to change or cope with the many situations we deal with on a day to day basis, so trying to find peace is the least you can do to save yourself from spiraling into complete chaos.