6 Life Lessons from Runners

6 Life Lessons from Runners

There is so much more to running than... well, running.

34
6 Life Lessons from Runners
pixabay.com

I don’t like running. I don’t mean I have a problem with the idea of running. If you can physically, mentally, and emotionally do that, kudos to you. It’s just not my thing. Which is why on this particular morning, while people all over Wheeling were gathering to run in in the Ogden Half-Marathon, a favorite city tradition, you would have found me sitting in a lounge chair cheering and handing water to the brave souls willing to run in 90-degree weather for 13.1 miles.

There isn’t anything wrong with that, is there? I mean, some people are meant to be runners and some people are meant to be sit-and-cheerers, right? And so, while the runners ran by, I was there to cheer them on hand them water, and just make sure they kept on going. But, for all of you who all runners, I learned something today: It isn’t easy! You guys are some of the toughest, strongest, most dedicated people on this planet. You’re strong-willed and resilient, and don’t stop until you’ve reached your goal. There are so many things we can learn from runners, not just on running, but on life in general.

1.Pace Yourself

Chances are, you’ve heard the old adage, “Slow and steady wins the race.” I saw this firsthand while watching the race this weekend. If a runner would have begun full steam, with everything they’ve got, right from the starting line, they wouldn’t have made it to my church, let alone all 13.1 miles. They would have burnt out quickly. Runners have to find a good, steady pace, so that they don’t burn out too quickly and are able to still finish the race well. This is a key to completing any distance, whether a mile on their own or the Boston Marathon, pacing yourself is essential. However, the lesson rings true for life. Don’t burn out too early. Whatever task you’re on, take it slowly. Whether a job, a project, a relationship, or any other scenario you find yourself in, heed the runners’ examples. Pace yourself. If you start too fast, you won’t make it very far. You’ll get tired, the assignment will lose its excitement, and you won’t finish your mission very strongly. Begin pacing yourself, and be amazed at the proficiency you begin undertaking things in your everyday life.

2.Fight Until the End

Everyone I’ve talked to that ran the race over the weekend said the same thing: It’s not an easy race! Over the 13.1 miles, runners face steep hills, long winding areas, and all in nearly 90-degree weather, which had me sweating, just sitting in a lawn chair under shade. But each of the people I talked to had a second similarity: they all finished. No matter the hills or the heat, they made it to the finish line; furthermore, the fact that the overcame the obstacles they did made them even prouder to finish. In life, we are going to meet hills and heat of our own, and many times, they make us feel like quitting. They make us want to give up. Let’s face it: You might even be in the middle of your own steep hill as you’re reading this. Right now, you might feel like giving up and the finish line might seem really far away. If this describes you, perhaps you were meant to be reading this right now. If so, listen to this: The finish line is closer than it seems. I promise. You’ve got this. Keep on fighting until the finish. You are so able, abler than you know. Don’t waste any more time just sitting around feeling worthless. Use your many, many talents and skills to get to that finish line. Just like the runners, you’ll feel much prouder seeing what you overcame to get to the finish line once you get there!

3.Swat the Bugs

There’s nothing like the sound of cicadas. Hiding underground for 17 years, you may have seen them flying around recently as this is the year they make their long awaited (or, maybe dreaded) appearance. Saturday, race day, just so happened to be the day they decided to make themselves known where I live. It was pretty bad. Everywhere I looked, they were buzzing. I can’t imagine the runners. Trying to make it to the end, which (as we already established) had enough difficulties already, was now also being effected by the bugs. Trying to feel good about yourself and enjoy the had to be a little harder with cicadas landing all over you and buzzing all around your face. But, the runners simply said, “Oh well.” They weren’t gonna let some annoying little insects mess up what they’d been training for for so long; as a result, the solution was simple. They swatted the bugs. With a simple wave of their hands, the bugs flew away. Let’s get real. We’re gonna have “bugs” bugging us all the time. Whether a person, criticism, or an unanticipated situation that steals your time, they seem to be doing nothing but getting in our way and driving us crazy. I have some good news for you, my friends! Just swat them away! Wave them aside, and set your sights back to the finish line.

4.Set Goals and Train

This year, my best friend ran the race for the second year in a row. He along with everyone else, was excited to find that he increased his time by 11 minutes over the course of the year. This didn’t just happen though. He trained constantly. He ran in pouring rain, in cold weather, in any condition, to try and make himself better, and evidently his hard work paid off. He set a goal to get better than he had the year before, and that is what he did. There’s a lot to learn from that. In any area we are involved in, we must set personal goals to get better and train to reach those. One of the biggest keys to success is to set personal goals for yourself and hold yourself accountable. I bet you that in almost any book on self-improvement, working, or success, the author tells you the same thing. Pushing yourself to a goal of improvement is one of the best ways to get to where you want to be. Make every run a little quicker. Make every story a little better. Make every throw from a little farther. As I mentioned more, don’t go too fast. Pace yourself slowly and strive to reach short-term goals. In whatever area, it is sure to bring you success.

5.Don’t Underestimate the Power of Music

Music moves. Almost all the runners I saw this weekend had earbuds in, listening to their pump up songs and being motivated by the music. There’s a really practical application to this. Get out your iPod or your MP3 player (remember those?) and put together a life soundtrack for yourself to play whenever you need a reminder not to stop believing, or that you’ve got the eye of the tiger, or that you are a champion. (See what I did there?) In fact, I’m listening to music as I write this. It keeps me focused and makes me work harder and more efficiently. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for to get the job done faster. But even more than all that, music is just plain fun. There’s no wonder why the music industry has the power and influence it does. Don’t miss out on that. There isn’t any black magic going on. It’s just simple. Music is fun. If your life is stressing you out and you need to slow down and relax, then sing a song or dance a dance. But it’s that simple. Don’t underestimate the power of music.

6. Stop and Take a Drink

I told you earlier, my role in the race was a small one, but I think it was a very important one. I handed out water to the runners running by who needed a drink in the hot weather we were having. If it wasn’t for that water, finishing the race would have been much more difficult. I feel like in the race of life, we should do this a little more often. Sometimes, we need to just stop and take a drink to refresh us and get us back on track. I feel like this idea has some negative feelings behind it though. Some people don’t want to take time to stop what they’re doing to really focus on their well-being. They don’t realize that this is SO IMPORTANT! There’s nothing wrong with taking a break from what you’re doing to focus on yourself a little bit. Besides, it’s your life, not your boss’s or teacher’s or friend’s or whoever. I’m not saying those things aren’t important. They’re extremely important. What I am saying, though, is to not let then get in the way of what really matters: you! Stop giving so much of yourself out, and in return, take something in! Find a new hobby or read a good book. I don’t care what, but if you get nothing else from reading this, at least get this. You should never get so caught up in the busyness of life that you forget to look after yourself.

If you’re a runner, I, on behalf of people like me, apologize. You are awesome! And lastly, thank you for the lessons you teach us about living our life! Now, go get a drink of water and put on your favorite song. You are a champion!