6 Easy And Inexpensive Ways To Practice Self-Care This Week

My personal tips based on how I care for my emotional and mental wellbeing.

9

We have all been there. Spring Break has just ended, and for a lot of us, this was a much needed break from the chaos that is Wake Forest University. Though we had a nice rest away from grueling academics, I know that I watched myself and so many of my friends sink into a scary pit of anxiety and stress in the weeks leading up to the break.

So here are my top 6 easy and inexpensive ways of practicing self-care this week so that you can avoid finding yourself in this pit as well.

DISCLAIMER: I do not in any way think that these will work for everyone. Each person is different and has unique needs for their mental and emotional wellbeing. I just know that I researched ways that helped other people when I was feeling overwhelmed, so I am hoping to share what worked for me.

1. Read Something For Pleasure.

I know that I have so much reading for my classes during the week that I rarely find time to read anything fun. I read so much over my breaks that when I don't get to do this during the school year, I feel deprived. Grab a book and read a chapter, or even just read a magazine article online. Take a quick 15 minute break from the 100 pages of Chem reading that you have to do before Friday and let your brain focus on something fun and less grueling. (Take it from me, this also is a great study tip! I do this to let my brain rest in between chapters, and I find that it helps me to actually retain the information.)

2. Take Advantage Of The Ziesta Room.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, allow me to drop some knowledge. If you enter the ZSR Library and take a right into the room across from Starbucks, ascend the stairs in front of you, you will be introduced to one of my favorite chill out spaces on campus. In the Ziesta room, there are lockers to keep your stuff safe and wonderfully comfortable recliners to relax in. I am often found in here before or after a big exam relaxing and de-stressing. I found myself in there when I bombed my first Psych exam and it was the perfect place to center myself in the middle of the day when I had another class in an hour and couldn't go back to my room.

3. Do A Load Of Laundry.

I promise that my mother did not encourage me to include this. When I become a ball of stress, cleaning my room in my suite is the last thing on my mind, and this includes laundry. When laundry day becomes a necessity, wearing my clothes that I feel happiest or comfiest in are a distant dream buried under other dirty clothes. Not only does doing laundry give me a sense of accomplishment, but you really can't beat putting on warm socks straight out of the dryer and wearing your favorite clothes the next day. I studying during cycles and having clothes in my closet and drawers as opposed to on my floor makes me feel like I made leaps and strides at being a functional human.

4. Eat A Meal That Makes You Happy.

The biggest thing that got neglected for me in the week leading up to spring break was eating. I wouldn't eat all day, and then I would chow down at midnight when I got out of rehearsal and got my homework done. This was not healthy for my emotional wellbeing, my physical body, or my mental state. By taking time to eat, you are taking a great step towards caring for yourself, but why not take it a step further and eat something that really makes you happy? Throw all of your eating rules out of the window and let yourself enjoy your meal. Eat a cupcake for breakfast if you know that it will start your day out right. You do you and you will feel much much better.

5. Do Something Selfish.

Trust me, it is okay. There are millions of other opportunities in your week to take care of everyone else around you, but this is your time that it is all about you. In the immortal words of Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, TREAT YOURSELF. Do you have an extra $5 and see something that makes you laugh? Get it. Do you want to go to Chipoltle and eat a massive burrito bowl by yourself? Do it. Do you want to go see the new Beauty and the Beast movie? Go for it! Do something for you that will make you smile and worry about you for a little while.

6. Have a Five Minute Party.

This may seem like the dumbest thing that you have ever heard of, but I promise it is one of the easiest ways that I know to decompress, de-stress, lift my mood, and equalize my energy. What I do is find the first song that I can think of that has a beat that makes it a 'jam' for me, turn my music up in my car or room to a moderately high level (while still being considerate of my neighbors and suite mates), and just start dancing/flailing/singing/screeching/fist-pumping/head banging/etc. I dance and sing and move like nobody is watching and let all of the negative energy go and just release it into the space while letting the good stuff stay behind. This is a great time to just do you and be free.

(For the record, I highly recommend: "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett, "Really Don't Care" by Demi Lovato, and for the 90's kid in you, "Ultimate" from the Freaky Friday movie soundtrack.)

So let me know (if you feel comfortable sharing) in the comments section below if you try any of these, or give me your tips for self-care. Like I said, I am always looking to learn from others and experiment with what helped them to see if it works for me as well.