50 Little Truths I Wish I'd Known In High School

Stop stressing about the SAT.

749
The Brand

High school is really just a bridge you have to cross in order to get to the better years in life (college and beyond). If you’re anything like me, you didn’t particularly enjoy being stuck inside an artificially lit, drama-filled building from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

I wish I’d known these 50 little truths before I graduated — it would have made high school a lot smoother and more enjoyable.

1. Join a club, team, anything. Get involved. Don’t just sit at home every day after school for 4 years.

2. Go easy on teachers; they’re doing their best.

3. Exercise — it will make you feel good.

4. Don’t blow off your homework so much.

5. But don’t stress too much. You WILL get into college.

6. The SAT doesn’t matter as much as you think it does.

7. Doing poorly on one test won’t end your future.

8. Expand your social circle.

9. The petty drama you’re concerned about won’t matter a year from now.

10. Your face and body are still changing.

11. It’s OK if your high school friends don’t become your lifelong friends.

12. Nothing is constant.

13. Change will help you grow.

14. Stop announcing all the personal details of your life on Facebook.

15. Not everyone has a flat stomach.

16. Teen acne does go away.

17. You don’t need to have a boyfriend.

18. Whether or not you’re a virgin does not matter.

19. Get a job as soon as you can.

20. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

21. Allow yourself to go through different phases.

22. Nobody is staring at you in the cafeteria.

23. Start your college applications early.

24. Go easy on your parents.

25. Get off your phone and read something.

26. Pack your own lunches.

27. Stop making excuses for yourself and own up to your mistakes.

28. It’s OK to have some parts of you that are “just like everyone else.”

29. Stop dwelling on the past.

30. Learn how to take good notes now.

31. Go to bed before 1 a.m.

32. Take the medication and dosage you’ve been prescribed.

33. Be open with your parents.

34. Help out with chores around the house unprompted.

35. Understand that you’re still a kid.

36. Save your money.

37. It’s OK if you don’t get invited to crazy parties.

38. Think before you act.

39. Nobody really peaks in high school.

40. Practice what you preach.

41. Don’t commit to an identity too soon; keep exploring yourself.

42. Make music as often as possible.

43. Stop worrying what other people think so much.

44. Freshmanitis, sophomoritis, and junioritis are not real things.

45. The worse you look now, the more impressive your glow-up will be.

46. It doesn’t matter how many Instagram followers or likes you have.

47. Write dumb poems and share them with people.

48. You’re going to get prettier.

49. You’re going to get smarter.

50. You’re going to be OK.