5 Ways Every College Girl Can Feel In Control Of Her Body

Exercise your right to yourself my dudes.

224
Katherine Devine

Sometimes life gets out of hand. It’s crazy, and difficult, and for the most part, it’s completely out of our control. Feeling like you have no say sucks, so here are five ideas for when you feel the need to exercise a little control over your own life.

1. Rearrange your room.

From top to bottom, left to right, clean and move everything. Redo your walls. Change your sheets. Move your bed. Get some new pillows. In college, your creativity can often be stumped because you live in a dorm or rent an apartment, so you can't make any major changes, but a simple makeover can make your bedroom feel like an entirely different room. It’s refreshing and invigorating, and a truly simple way to take control.

2. Get some new clothes.

A whole new wardrobe might, unfortunately, be out of the question. But a few new pieces of clothing or makeup that make you feel really good about yourself are an automatic mood booster. Splurge on boots you've had your eye on, or pick up a new foundation to freshen up your routine.

3. Do something to your hair.

My hair has been brown, red, purple, black, and now blonde. It’s been short and it’s been long, curly and pin straight. The best thing about changing up your hair is that it’s a way to feel in control of your body without truly permanent ramifications. You can always dye over it or grow out a style you might not like. Drink some wine and ask your roommate to help you box dye your hair. It's always an adventure, I promise.

4. Get something pierced.

Okay now this is a little more permanent, because, you know, it’s a hole in your body. BUT if you don’t love it you can take the piercing out and the hole will close. You can get something subtle, like a second ear piercing. Or be a little more drastic with a nose or navel piercing. Regardless of what you chose, make sure to go somewhere with a good reputation and sterile needles and jewelry!

5. Get a tattoo.

My personal favorite, but certainly not for everyone, there is nothing better than the feeling of getting a tattoo. It’s an amazing, one of a kind feeling, and one I would definitely recommend. A tattoo is something you’ll carry with you forever, unless you undergo expensive and painful removal, so chose wisely. But the opportunity to get a permanent reminder of something, or a piece of art on your skin is incredible and second to none.

Take control and do something a little crazy, my dudes.