5 Comforting Practices To Try The Next Time You Need A Pick-Me-Up

*Brings out candle and essential oil stash*

17

When we're stuck in a rut, it can be hard to think of what will make us feel better. That's why having a predetermined list of things that can help can be extremely resourceful and help us turn around sooner. The aim of this list is to provide a baseboard of ideas that will hopefully help and inspire you to come up with an extended list of your own. I acknowledge that these practices do not create solutions, but they do help in easing stress - which can sometimes be half the battle.

Here's to healing!

Light a candle

Aromatherapy is known to help uplift moods, and certain scents like citrus, jasmine, and vanilla are especially helpful. Keep a candle in your most-used room - and even in multiple rooms - so that a soothing fragrance is always within reach. Our memories are also linked to certain scents, which means you can choose certain candles and perfumes for a special occasion (birthday, graduation, wedding, etc.). Then, each time you use that scent afterwards, it'll bring back the good memories you had on that day.

Take a shower or bath 

Water really helps us to feel more relaxed, and - depending on your nature - awake or sleepy. Try using this to your advantage by taking colder showers when you really need a jolt and warmer ones when you need to wind down or calm an active mind. Adding bath salts can also bring that aromatherapy factor for an added benefit.

Eat comfort food 

This is a no-brainer. The best thing about comfort food is that you can tailor it to any mood. Noodle soup, mac and cheese, pizza, ice cream, chocolate - have what makes you feel good.

Watch reruns of a favorite show

There's actually a reason behind why re-watching your favorite show or movie is so comforting! It comes from the predictability of the show: because you already know what happens, you don't have to worry about how things will work out. In life, it's more of the opposite because, at any given point, we may have several unknowns and uncertainties despite our own efforts. Watching old TV and movies (and even reading favorite books) gives us a break from that constant buzz in our head and helps us feel more relaxed.

Call a friend 

Whether or not you talk about what's on your mind is pretty secondary - what matters is that you're really seeing and connecting with each other. That way, if you're talking about the present, dreaming about the future, or laughing about the past, it's all in good spirits. Oftentimes, it's the unspoken connections with others that helps us realize we aren't so alone after all.