5 Things You Can Do When You Feel Overwhelmed

Overcome being overwhelmed.

11

If you've stumbled across this article, chances are you've been feeling overwhelmed. Whether it's school, work, clubs, activities, other people, or any combination of the six. Here are a few basic things you can do to start feeling better and more in control of your own life and your future:

1) Breathe!

Before you conquer what is making you feel overwhelmed, take a moment to focus on yourself. Take a deep breath. Try some breathing exercises. Try meditation or even just closing your eyes and listening to one of your favorite songs, particularly one that makes you feel calm.

2) Make a list.

This is something I have done lately to keep track of things I need to get done and I have to say. It's been extremely beneficial. Like many other people, I have a tendency to procrastinate. Since I do this, everything I need to get done starts piling up, therefore leaving me overwhelmed and stressed out. I noticed that making lists of things that need to get done can be very helpful in staying organized and on task. You can even put a little box next to each thing on the list, and one by one you can start checking off everything as you get them accomplished. As I start to check everything off of my list, I notice my anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed and stressed start to slip away as my motivation and confidence begin to climb.

3) Realize that you are NOT the only one in this situation.

Feeling overwhelmed is common. Especially in such a competitive and fast-paced society. Everyone at one point or another has felt overwhelmed. Ask yourself: "what is it that's making me feel overwhelmed? What can I do to alleviate my stress? How can I prevent this from happening again to me in the future?"

4) Be honest with yourself and others.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to acknowledge your feelings, and remember that they are only temporary. Everything you are feeling is completely valid. Feeling overwhelmed sucks, and you have to break free from that uneasiness. Remind yourself that you have the strength to get through whatever it is that's bothering you. If you need to talk to someone about how you feel, don't hesitate to do so. Reach out to someone you trust, someone who is maybe good at listening and giving advice. The sooner you acknowledge and accept your feelings and the sooner you try to fix the problem, the better off you will be.

5) Look towards the positives and reward yourself.

Since this feeling of being overwhelmed is only temporary, look forward to all the good, positive upcoming things and events in your life. It doesn't have to be anything big. Look forward to lunch plans you might have with a friend or family member. Look forward to watching that new episode of your favorite TV show. Look forward to a hot cup of your favorite coffee or tea that you reward yourself with when you accomplish a task. Setting little rewards for yourself as you get things done can prove to be very motivational. As long as you keep in mind whatever it may be that makes you happy and motivates you. It will make it that much easier to get things accomplished.

These are just a few simple suggestions and tips that might help you feel better when you're feeling overwhelmed. Of course, there are many, many more things you can do. ince everyone is different, everyone will find specific things that work better for them. As long as you are making a positive effort to help yourself, you are already on the right track.