5 Things I Wish I Would've Known Freshman Year

Before you know it, it all becomes a memory.

25
Movie Stills Database

As my sophomore year of college comes to a start it is only natural for me to think back to this time last year. As of this time in 2015 I was a few days away from move in and, as much as I tried to hide it from my friends and family, nervous for my first year away from home. I had read an embarrassing amount of "freshman advice" articles and tried to prepare myself for what was to come. But here is the thing about college, it doesn't come with an instruction manual that is catered to each individual. You are forced to find out what works for you through trial and error, as daunting as that may seem. With all that said here are some of the things I wish I have known freshman year of college.

1. Try new things.

I can almost guarantee you that at every college orientation across the nation they encourage students to join clubs, get involved, try new things. If I'm being honest I was reluctant, I did not want to put myself out there and join clubs because I thought that I might embarrass myself or maybe I'd be the worst scientist in the Chemistry Club. But seriously, try clubs - you might just make some kickass friends. Go outside of your comfort zone. Always wanted to go backpacking but never have? Try it. Never had authentic Indian food? Try it. What I'm trying to say is that college is a once in a lifetime opportunity to try and find who you really are and there is no better way to do so than trying something new.

2. Make a lot of friends.

I made the mistake freshman year of nourishing a select couple friendships. Here's the thing, people change - they can stab you in the back, or even make a different best friend. Do not put all of your eggs in one basket per say. Make lots of friends, try and make a friend in each of your classes. Make friends with people you wouldn't normally befriend. I'm not saying you should not form close relationships - you should. Just do not let those relationships hinder you from making new relationships.

3. Call your parents.

It is easy to become so enveloped into college life that you forget about life back home. My mom once told me that I had become so busy, yet life back home became slower. Remember that college isn't only a big transition for you but for your parents too. Take some time to call them. Here's a hint: walking between classes is a perfect time to call your parents. Why? It gives you enough time to say hello, but not too much time for your parents to talk your ear off. Also, don't forget to tell them you love them, it'll make their day I promise.

4. Read your textbook.

Most professors will encourage you to read the text but not everyone, especially myself, would. However, coming to class with a glimpse of what the professor is about to lecture on is so helpful. This way in case there is a pop quiz on the reading you're golden. And in case you need some incentive, here is a pretty ingenious idea.

5. Find a way to destress.

Freshman year will be stressful, it is inevitable. Classes are hard, you're expected to do a lot of different things in a short amount of time. More likely than not you'll be involved in some drama too. The best advice I can give to you is to find a positive way to get rid of all that stress. Too many people turn to substances to destress, which is a whole other article, but find something that is productive and destressing. If for you relaxing is watching 20 minutes of Netflix go for it, or maybe it's working out. For me I managed my stress best by journaling. I got all of my stressful thoughts out of my head and onto paper. You'll do so much better in school when your stress is under control. I guarantee it.

Do not worry too much about freshman year, most importantly do your schoolwork and have fun because before you know it, it all becomes a memory.