5 Simple Ways To De-Stress

5 Simple Ways To De-Stress

If you're feeling overwhelmed, give one of these a shot.

14
5 Simple Ways To De-Stress

Classes are in full swing and you know what that means: stress. Every year I reflect on how much work I've done and every year I realize I'm dealing with more stress than the year before. I always think I'm about to hit my breaking point and then I surprise myself by handling more.

I truly think the only reason I haven't fallen over the edge is because I've learned how to manage my stress! Instead of breaking down and giving up the fight, I've taught myself that it's okay to take breaks and shut the world out if it means preserving your mental health and sanity. Some of these are widely-used methods of de-stressing, but some you might be surprised by.

1. Breathe in for 7 counts, hold your breath for 7 counts, release for 7 counts

I don't remember who taught me this but it applies in many situations. If you feel angry, panicked, or stressed, simple deep-breathing exercises can calm and re-focus you. For me, I usually do this 10-15 times but you can breathe for as long as you'd like until your heart rate settles and your thinking is clearer.

2. Take a yoga class

I know what you're thinking- I have three essays, two exams, and a Spanish oral midterm this week, how am I supposed to make time for a yoga class? If you truly can't make it to the gym, you can do this one at home as long as you have basic knowledge of some yoga poses. Taking an hour out of your day to relax your muscles and focus only on your body will help to relieve some of that weight on your shoulders. I've started to do yoga before bed multiple times a week because it helps me sleep better! Close your blinds, light some candles, and put on some ambiance music. My recommendation- Above & Beyond's Robot Heart Yoga Live Set from Burning Man 2014.

3. Color/Paint!

I thought I grew out of my coloring phase after the 6th grade but that was before I knew how truly therapeutic it can be. My boyfriend (the wonderful soul that he is) bought me some amazing pens & markers and a book with extremely detailed drawings for me to color in, and it re-sparked my love for coloring, even though I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Putting all of your focus into something that isn't homework can help you to regulate your breathing (ever panted and tried to color in the lines at the same time?) and take your mind away from your to-do list.

4. Indulge in Eucalyptus-scented candles, lotions, and bath bombs

Bath & Body Works makes a great Eucalyptus & Spearmint-scented lotion that is used for stress-relief aromatherapy. It definitely works, too! I use this not only when my hands are dry but when I feel my blood pressure rise and it brings instant relief, even if it is brief. Eucalyptus is widely used essential oil for stress relief, so head over to your local Sprouts and pick some up.

5. Separate the rooms in your house (and create a relaxation room/area if you can)

It's so convenient to come home and immediately retreat to your bed to relax. But we all know how it goes, you get comfortable and then you convince yourself you'll just do homework there. The problem is, your brain isn't differentiating between relaxation time and stressful time, and anytime you try to relax or de-stress in your room, your brain will associate that with work time. If you choose your bedroom as a relaxation room, don't do anything in there that will create stress.

These few tips may seem simple or even silly, but I can guarantee you'll find a bit of solace no matter which you choose. Don't forget, your well-being comes before any project, assignment, or deadline, so put yourself first when you have to and sacrifice when necessary. Your body will thank you!