5 Reasons Why Belle is the Perfect Role-Model

What is it that makes her stand out from the rest of the Disney women?

495
Thought Catalog

True as it can be.

With the new Beauty and the Beast live action movie coming to theaters, Belle is coming back into popularity. Whether or not Emma Watson's portrayal does the character justice, the Disney princess makes the perfect role-model for people of all ages. With her kind heart and astounding intellect, she has many admirable qualities that kids and adults alike can learn from.

1. Belle doesn't want to settle. She wants more for herself.

The entire opening number of the movie is an ode to how different Belle is. She repeats that "there must be more than this provincial life." She lives in a small town where people are narrow-minded and stick to what they know. Belle wants to learn, grow, and have an adventurous life. She isn't seeming to find that where she is, but she knows what she wants and refuses to settle until she finds it. She shows us that we are allowed to want more for ourselves and to go out and get it.

2. She is willing to sacrifice herself for those she loves.

Belle makes the ultimate sacrifice when she offers to be the Beast's prisoner in place of her father. She sees her father's sickness and pain and knows of his potential as an inventor. Because of this, she refuses to let him wither. She takes on the challenge so that he can go free and get well. Belle really shows her love and admiration for her father when she does this. When she makes the promise to stay, she knows the weight of her decision and does not regret making it. She provides an excellent example of true love in action.

3. She is patient without being a pushover.

When observing Belle's relationships, it is clear that she is patient, but knows when to stand up for herself. We see this especially in her relationships with Gaston and the Beast. She is perfectly polite and cordial to Gaston, but when he insults her and her father, she steps in and tells him to back off. It is quite an admirable feat to be able to exude kindness while remaining independent and strong. She puts this into practice with the Beast, as well. Although at the beginning he is rude and scary, she remains patient and tries to help him the best she can. She teaches him to read and about animals and slowly begins to see the good in him that she always suspected was there. Belle is a great example of being kind but firm in the lives we lead.

4. She understands the importance of knowledge and learning.

Although the townspeople call her strange and funny for being so futuristic in her practices, Belle maintains her passion for reading. She loves to learn and exercise her mind and imagination. When Gaston tells her that it isn't a woman's place to read and get ideas, she remains steady in her belief. Belle wants more for her life than to settle down with a husband and serve his needs. She wants to gain intellect and build a life of joy and adventure. She shares this love of reading with the Beast, who, unlike Gaston, appreciates the zest Belle has for it. You should always spend time with the people who want you to feel big and important as opposed to small. They should want you to build your knowledge and confidence, as well as support what you love to do. Belle understands this.

5. She gives second chances.

It takes an amazingly strong person to forgive the guy who imprisoned her father, then imprisoned her, then bossed her around rudely for ages. Belle is a person who looks for the good in others though and can see potential in the Beast. When he saves her life, she decides to save his by helping him grow and bring out that light. She had every reason to hate the Beast forever and run away without looking back, but she gave him a chance to change and try again. If she can give the Beast a second chance, everyone else deserves one, too.

Every version of Belle that has been created has had these core qualities: she is brave, patient, intelligent, and understands what it means to truly love someone. These are very real characteristics that can easily be transferred over into everyday life. For this reason, I think it is very important for kids and adults to see Beauty and the Beast and appreciate the wisdom that Belle exhibits. She makes an outstanding role model and embodies everything a good human being should strive for.