5 Reasons You Should Focus On Yourself

5 Reasons You Should Focus On Yourself

Self-love (noun): regard for one's own well-being and happiness.

6341
5 Reasons You Should Focus On Yourself

The world these days is focused on altruism as the core of what it means to be a good person. Being “politically correct” is at the center of a large portion of social media posts and the presidential campaign this year. Being kind to others is one thing, but catering your beliefs to others is indicative of a lack of self-esteem and a need to focus on your own happiness. While giving to others is positive, you truly cannot give until you have taken care of yourself.

Here are five reasons why you should focus on yourself.

1. Focus on yourself to learn what you’re worth.

The first step to self-love is evaluating what you think you are worth. It is up to you and nobody else. Figure out what you think you are worth – be that in salary at work or the stability of your relationships.

2. Focus on yourself to improve your relationships.

When you are your best version of yourself people will see the confidence you possess and will respond with respect and authenticity. Confident people have happier relationships – not only with themselves but with others as well.

3. Focus on yourself to discover your interests.

When you focus on introspection, you discover what activities and hobbies truly make you happy and in which ones you participate simply to “fit in." Take time to do the things you love every day, and you will be happier internally and externally.

4. Focus on yourself to find your definition of success.

While the world can tell you a million things that will make you successful, the definition of success varies from person to person. Set goals for yourself and make sure to put a date on that goal. If it doesn’t make you happy, and you are doing it for someone else, drop it and do a bit of self-discovery. Success all depends on how you define it, whether it be family, career or travel.

5. Focus on yourself to find happiness.

Happiness roots itself in self-worth, confidence and happiness. Choosing yourself over others should be considered a public service and not selfishness. If everyone were at their happiest, the world would be a better place overall. While people’s definitions of achievement may differ, happiness is a feeling that can be experienced across all political, sociocultural and geographic lines. Focus on yourself, from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed and make unselfish happiness your number one priority.

And remember, happiness and laughter are contagious. Focusing on yourself can help others focus on themselves.