5 Must-Try Kansas City Food Joints

5 Must-Try Kansas City Food Joints

WTF?! Where's The Food?

64
5 Must-Try Kansas City Food Joints
Maggie Cain

With a fiery passion for food, and I mean fiery, I have always longed to be a food critic. What better way to make a living than by traveling the world, eating all different types of food, and exploring cultural lifestyles?

To be a food critic there are at least two requirements directly stated in the title. One: to love food. Easy. Done. Check. Two: to be able to critique it. Ehhhh, this one's not so easy for me. Considering I have yet to find a food that I won't try or don't like, this whole critiquing thing wouldn't be my strong suit. However, I refuse to give up on my love for food, and have just decided to change my dream job title to food compliment-er.

Since coming to school in Kansas City, I have decided to try different food joints around the area, give my food compliment-er dream a run for its money, and share my experiences. Here are five of some pretty bomb food places I have been thus far...

1. Farmhouse

The Farmhouse is a quaint little restaurant in the River Market area of Kansas City. It prides itself on the slogan "Farm-to-Table, Tip-to-Tail." This means they focus on crafting fresh, seasonal dishes by working with local farmers all year round to reduce their carbon footprint, and make sure to use every possible cut of the meat they can.

When I went for brunch, I got the omelet-of-the-day, which had lamb sausage, mushrooms, caramelized onions, and provolone cheese. It usually comes with a side of hash-browns, but I decided to try something new and went for the grits. I'd never had lamb before, but put it in an omelet, and I wouldn't dare question its potential! Going back to the typical ham or sausage omelet might not be so easy after this one.

A great restaurant to go to for some great comfort food! Next time you're in the neighborhood you should give it a try, and explore the cute area around this food haven.

Address: 300 Delaware Street, Kansas City, MO 64105

Phone: 816.569.6032

2. Beignet

Beignet is a great little hidden gem nestled in the Kansas City, City Market. I have always loved the authenticity of the City Market, from the farm fresh produce stands to the dining. The strip-mall set up of the Market makes traveling easy. You can taste your way from Italy to India all the way to New Orleans.

Beignet is a New Orleans style restaurant which serves...you guessed it, any type of beignet you can imagine! A beignet is a type of fried dough that can be made sweet or savory. I went big and tried both.

For all my vegetarian bosses out there, I tried their Veghead Beignet. Stuffed with garlic herbed tofu, candied walnuts, spinach, artichoke, and a sun dried tomato honey goat cheese, and served with a side of potato chips, this one was a winner.

Remember those days you'd eat the cookie dough when mom wasn't looking? Well that was exactly what the Cookie Dough Beignet tasted like: warm, gooey, and sprinkled with a snowstorm of powdered sugar. Pretty much a life-changing foodie dream.

While it was very busy, and the wait was long, it was worth it. The friendly staff and delicious piece of New Orleans Beignets has to offer is phenomenal. New Orleans prides itself on soul food, and Beignets definitely speaks through the stomach, and straight to the soul.

Address: 307 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64105

Phone: 816.472.0777

3. FreeB!rds

This hopping burrito joint is a great stop if you are in the Westport area of KC. Created in California with a means of branching out from the typical burger joints, this restaurant has now found fame in six other states. AND WE'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO GIVE IT A HOME IN KC! (what what).

The restaurant is so edgy with a literal motorcycle handlebar that dishes out all the sauces and a friendly staff that will help you on your quest to crafting your perfect burrito (or taco, or quesadilla, or salad, or bowl).

Their menu is vast in options and sizes. Unlike most typical fast-food style Mexican restaurants, FreeB!rds has three sizes of burritos. You can go snack size and get a Hybrid, satisfying size and get a FreeB!rd, or if you want to feel like a carnivore, you can order the Monster, which is the size of a small child.

With tortillas ranging from white to wheat to cayenne, you can switch it up, or even ditch the tortilla all together and get a bowl or salad. This is your Mexican masterpiece.

Rumor had it that if you went with a vegetarian option you got free guacamole, so naturally, for the sake of guac, I decided to go with the vegetarian taco. And with a single taco costing only $2.50, you're bound to leave with a happy stomach and wallet.

Address: 554 Westport Rd, Kansas City, MO 64111

Phone: 816.531.5407

4. Prime Sushi

Nothing says a delicious Lenten meal for us Catholics like sushi! When I first tried sushi, I hated it. The idea of slimy uncooked fish sliding down my esophagus made me want to assume the fetal position, but in the beauty of second chances, my eyes were opened to the glory that is Sushi.

Kansas City is home to some wonderful sushi places. One of the newest sushi restaurants that opened on Main Street is Prime Sushi-- a very trendy restaurant with a fun staff. I mean, my host is casually photo bombing in this picture if you didn't notice.

I ordered the crab and spicy salmon rolls. While they might have been the basic rolls, they were far from basic tasting. They were decadent. Prime sushi is a perfect destination for a satisfying, trendy, and eclectic dining experience.

Address: 4980 Main St, Kansas City, MO 64112

Phone: 816.931.4829

5. Insomnia Cookies

Whoever said heaven didn't exist on earth, has clearly never been to or heard of Insomnia Cookies in Westport. Open from noon-3 a.m., this place will be able to please your sweet tooth into the wee hours of the morn. You think it can't get any better? Oh, well did I mention this sweet little oasis also delivers?

Founded in a University of Pennsylvania college dorm room, Insomnia Cookies has been giving people life since 2003. For late night study breaks, for sugar cravings, or for the world's best gifts, Insomnia Cookies has you covered.

When I went to Insomnia Cookies I was behind a lady whom I dubbed the Insomnia Cookie's fan club president. She was so passionate about cookies and was telling me all about what I should get.

I took her advice and ordered a peanut butter chip cookie. Warm, gooey, and perfectly messy, this cookie spoke to my heart. So, next time you're missing your grandma's cookies, drop into Insomnia Cookies. I promise you, you'll leave a new and improved person.

Address: 505 Westport Rd, Old Westport, MO 64111

Phone: 877.632.6654

With a big appetite and a never-ceasing hunger, I will continue to adventure menus across Kansas City. In the meantime, Adam Richman from "Man vs. Food" and I will be planning our wedding invitations to come soon.