5 Items Student Athletes Can't Live Without

Trust me, you'll need these.

988
Building Men & Women via Athletics©

You've seen all the lists for your freshman year essentials, stocked up on Ramen and Command hooks, and have mastered the perfect Christmas light ambiance. But now, here is your go-to guide for all things student athletes should, but may forget or neglect to, bring to school. Adjusting to college training is a whole other task in and of itself, and this is your survival kit.

1. Foam rollers, massage balls, massage sticks, etc.

One of the biggest changes between college and high school training is it's harder. You're talking two or three-a-days during pre-season, morning lift sessions during regular seasons, and nearly every day nonstop two to three hour practices. If you can find a way to do all that without all your muscles turning to brick, let me know.

In high school, maybe you iced a little when you got sore, stretched if your coach was looking, or borrowed your friend's massage stick because who really wants to spend the money on those things? You will now.

2. Protein bars.

It seems obvious, but here's the catch: there will be times when you will live off these things. When you have morning sessions, back-to-back (to back?!) classes, then regular afternoon practice, where does food come into play? Stash these things everywhere. In your school bag, in your practice bag, locker room, dorm room, the list goes on and on. College is hectic, time is precious, and your body needs the energy. The good news is every flavor seems to have chocolate coating. Win-win!

3. Reusable water bottles.

You're not a college student unless you carry around a Camelbak emblazoned with the school logo, you're not a student athlete unless you have multiple bottles scattering your dorm, and you're definitely not a football player unless you're rocking the one-gallon look.

Though it may defeat the purpose of having one reusable bottle, having more is the way to be. Either that or hooking yourself up to an IV, all day, every day. Hydration, my friends.

4. An entire Dick's Sporting Goods.

Your best bet is to walk into your closest sporting goods store and ask for one of everything. From warm-ups to dri-fits, sports bras to calf sleeves, you'll use it all, and fast. In high school, you had practice, got sweaty, and went home. No one cared if the bus smelled a little worse than it normally did, and you jumped right in the shower when you walked in the door. In college, two-a-days means double the clothes, and when those two sessions are the bookends to a full day of classes, you're going to need even more dry gear to keep you from smelling up the whole room.

On days when you actually get to wear normal clothing, you'll find yourself making an extra effort to look nice because it's just that special. Seriously, some of your classmates may not be able to recognize you without a matted ponytail and Adidas track pants.

5. The biggest backpack ever.

As mentioned, the life of a student athlete is all about maintaining a hectic schedule. You're constantly running from practice to class, club meetings, advisory sessions, etc. There's just no time to make a trip back to your room to switch out your books for your cleats and vice versa. Instead, each morning might as well be a new world record attempt for most items to be shoved, any way possible, in a backpack. (The real question: do sneakers hanging off the side count?)

So, forget your early morning lift because lugging around this baby all day will surely be enough to suffice. If only we all had our own Backpack Boy. Ned really should have made a declassified college edition.