5 Food Brands Overlooked By College Students

Healthy doesn't have to mean boring, expensive, and difficult.

75
The Daily Universe

As a college student who is prone to stress, I often find myself in a bad situation where I'm eating horribly and justifying it because I'm stressed. I think a lot of college students are under the impression that they can't eat healthy because they either don't have time, money, or know how to cook. My single goal for the new year was to eat not healthy, but healthier than I do now. I'm over kidding myself about eating healthy all the time; however, I am trying to make better decisions when given the options. These brands help with that a lot.

1. Halo Top

Finally an ice cream that you won’t feel terrible about eating. While there have always been a lot of brands claiming to be healthier ice creams, they are usually fraught with hidden ingredients that most people won’t notice on the nutrition label. So far, I haven’t discovered that problem with Halo Top. While Blue Bell will always be my favorite ice cream, Halo Top is a close second.

2. Annie’s

I am in love with Annie’s. They have expanded their products a lot in the past couple of years, and I have been loving it. Originally I was a loyal consumer of their mac & cheese, but my newest favorite is their cinnamon rolls. Think Pillsbury cinnamon rolls but organic. You really can’t go wrong with that? And the best part, you don’t lose the great taste.

3. Pacific

While Pacific does have quite a few product lines, I am a big fan of their soup. Completely organic, Pacific is a good brand for purchasing pre-made soups and broths. They have a good variety of flavors, and they are a reasonable price. It may not seem like a lot when you pick up the carton, but when you open it you’ll be surprised by how many servings it actually makes. And all you have to do is heat it up.

4. Yogi

I was never really a tea person until this past year. I used to think that all tea tasted pretty much the same, but that is far from true. From Honey Lavender Stress Relief to Raspberry Ginger Digestive Vitality, Yogi has a wide variety of flavors and uses for their teas. And they are absolutely tasty and not boring like I previously thought.

5. Veggie Noodle Co.

Veggie Noodle Co. is my newest obsession. They have four types of veggies noodles: zucchini, sweet potato, butternut, and beet. To be honest, I’ve never seen the beet noodles at my local grocery stores. However, I’m confident in the taste of the other three types. In my opinion, these noodles are so worth it. They can be eaten cold or heated up, which only takes 3-4 minutes. It’s an ideal situation for eating healthy on a time frame or with limited cooking skills.

I think that these brands are the perfect brands for college students to keep around. They are all quick and easy to make/consume, yet won't leave you feeling bad about yourself after. At least next time you're sitting on the floor of your dorm room eating ice cream, you won't have to worry about consuming too much sugar or an overload of chemicals.