5 Bad Reasons to Not Vote for Hillary
Politics

5 Bad Reasons to Not Vote for Hillary

There is no candidate without flaw...Obama can't run again.

30
5 Bad Reasons to Not Vote for Hillary
SmartGirlPolitics.com

This November, one of two candidates will be elected President of the United States of America. I understand that there are more than two candidates. I understand that America is not strictly a two-party system. The sad truth, though, is that third-party candidates just do not have enough power over or exposure to the masses to stand a chance for the presidency. I have avoided saying it in an article up until now because I know it’s a hard pill to swallow and I don’t like that it’s true, but a vote for a third party is almost as good as staying home and not voting. I say “almost” because at least you’re doing one thing: exercising your right as an American citizen and voting for something you believe in. But really, you’re using that right to vote for something that’s not going to happen, anyway. It’s like voting to make Candy Corn a vegetable. If you really feel strongly about it, go for it, I guess, but it’s not going to happen. (Actually, that might work…) I read a really powerful Odyssey article about how voting for something you believe in is never a wasted vote. The writer was not wrong, and I was quite moved by this assertion--but I do hope that you’ll vote for someone that might actually have a chance.

It’s worth noting that I, a Hillary supporter to the end, do read Pro-Trump and Anti-Hillary articles. I have not buried my head in the Hillary sand and resolved not to come out until Spring. I just haven’t read anything that makes me feel like the side I’ve chosen is the wrong one, or the America I want to live in is a bad one. All the reasons I’ve heard for voting against Hillary seem like someone grasping at straws or making conjecture that is not founded in facts. So here are some common reasons people find themselves Anti-Hillary and why they’re not actually reasons at all.

1. Women are emotionally unstable.

I’m actually pleased to say that I haven’t heard this in months. That said, it is something I really want to address. If you know nothing about how uterus-specific bodily functions work, here’s your crash course. Usually between the ages of 45 and 55, and most commonly around age 51, women go through a period (no pun intended) called “menopause.” This marks the end of her fertility, and means she will no longer have a menstrual cycle. Post-menopausal women are actually, for this reason, the most emotionally stable demographic. Behold, ladies and gentlemen, Hillary Clinton, who is well past menopause at this point in her life. That said, even a woman who had not yet gone through menopause is not “emotionally unstable.” That’s just something the patriarchy wants you to believe.

2. Those emails.

Okay, listen up about these emails, people. I get it, they’re suspicious. I get it, the private server seems shady. I get it, that’s not the kind of thing we really look for in the leader of the free world. I get it. But the FBI spent a year--a year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days--investigating Hillary and her emails and came up with nothing that made them want to press charges. If that’s not good enough for you, then Trump’s specially assigned prosecutor isn’t going to be either. (Not to mention, you know that Parks and Rec episode where they find out that, in the event of a tie, the female candidate goes to jail? Doesn’t this seem just a little too much like that?)

3. The sexual offenders she defended.

I want to let you know that this made me uncomfortable when I first heard about it, too. Women’s issues are extremely important to me, and I can’t imagine getting behind someone who doesn’t take them seriously. But I read Hillary’s statement in response to questions about a specific instance, and what she said calmed me. She asked to be taken off of the case, but was denied. From there, she based her approach on one of our Miranda Rights--the right to an attorney. She figured that her personal feelings were not as important as the rights we have as American citizens. So she did her job. And here’s what’s funny: if she hadn’t done her job, if she had denied someone of their right to an attorney because of her feelings on the matter, she would have endured a whole different kind of response. It seems to me that the kind of people that are so concerned with what rights we have (my own opinions aside, I mean to reference second amendment rights or the rights of an unborn child) should actually be pretty pleased that she acted based on what rights her clients had. This is one of those straws--finding something to pretend to be outraged about that really would not change your mind even a little if it was different.

4. She flip-flops on the issues.

I saw the “marriage is between a man and a woman” tweet from years ago, and I’ve seen the more recent rainbow Hillary logo. I know she has, at different times, been for war and against it. I get that she has not had the same opinions since day one. Guess what? People change their minds. They grow. They learn. That’s natural. Frankly, I’m comforted by the thought of someone who is willing to listen and keep an open mind and even make decisions that don’t necessarily align with their own predispositions. In the end, Hillary’s “flip-flopping” isn’t a mindless 180° on the issues to grab at votes. She’s listening to what people want and reacting like someone who has a responsibility to others. Isn’t that the kind of person we want representing us?

5. Bill.

This is such a bad reason to not vote for Hillary. I know there are several Bill-based arguments. Most recently, I heard about the coverups she participated in to hide his misconduct while in office. I’m not sure how true this is, the extent of her involvement, or the extent of the specific misconduct she helped to cover up. But unfortunately, this is something that’s always been around. She’s not the first person to hold office with a few secrets--and she won’t be the last. I’ve also heard that several different people are of the opinion that Hillary is only where she is because of Bill. I concede that she may have found opportunities a little more readily because her husband was once President...but she was not any less hard-working or deserving of these opportunities because of that. She has the education, she has the experience, she has the know-how, and she has the drive. Bill didn’t give her those things--she earned them. Last, I guess some are of the opinion that she is somehow less worthy of the role because she stuck with a man who, to put it simply, cheated on her. But that’s dumb. None of us knows what they went through and how their relationship works. Does Hillary seem like the type of woman to get pushed around? I don’t think so. That said, I think it bodes well for America if its leader is a woman who can endure huge mistakes in a relationship and still come out of it committed and strong. Moral of the story, no one is asking you to vote for Billary, so please don’t treat it as such.