4 Years

4 Years

What I Learned Outside Of the Classroom

19
4 Years
Jocelyn Baker/Central Florida Lifestyle Magazine

The day after high school graduation, we were all ready to slip on those hoodies of our chosen college, and proudly sit in those lecture halls ready to conquer the next two or four years. Excitement was high, and we felt on top of the world. It's expected that we get tons of homework, go to wild parties every weekend, and make best friends for life that will never let you down.

Now as a senior in college, I'm reflecting on what I and many other people have experienced during the rollercoaster that is college. There was so much I learned about other people and myself. So many lessons learned outside of the classroom.

Year 1

I was ready to start over, and leave everything and anything negative about high school behind. I know now that I walked into my first year with a lot of baggage. Like many first year students, I planned on my roommate and being best friends and doing everything together. Right off the bat I was disappointed and full of anxiety. My roommate and I did not do everything together. We got along just fine, but I expected much more. Freshman year became cliquey very fast, and I was often left behind. I was often depressed and anxious, not feeling important or good enough. In the second semester of freshman year my roommate ended up moving out, to room with her closest friend. I never felt more alone. I had made some good friends that year but, nothing felt secure or good enough. I was very bitter about school, hated it and never wanted to be there. I went home just about every weekend, and never wanted to go back. Freshman year came to an end and I couldn't be happier. I should have learned to lower my expectations, and not put so much pressure on myself or other people. But, it was still going to take some time.

Year 2: Sophomore Status

It's going to be great, it's going to be better. I had decided to room with a good friend of mine. I was not a fan of getting drunk every weekend, or getting stoned just to get through the day. I thought this girl was the same way, and I was very optimistic about the year ahead because I was living with who I thought was a great choice for me. I was wrong. My roommate had done an 180 in the time between making our decision to live together, and when the fall semester started. She became a stoner, was never around. I later found out that she spoke very cruelly about me behind my back, and to our mutual friends at the time. Once again, the anxiety was back. I was very much in denial, not admitting that she was not the person I thought she was, and that she had changed. I was constantly making excuses for her, and trying to act like I was okay with the situation with my other friends who questioned. By the end of sophomore year, and the summer after I was still trying to hold onto a friendship I knew deep down was not there. I eventually gained the courage to admit that she was a toxic person, after the truth came out about how she treated me behind closed doors to my face, behind my back, and that I did not need to lie to myself anymore. But, I was done with the whole roommate thing. I was going to go into my junior year living alone.

Year 3

I'm a junior, it's the home stretch, almost a senior! Despite everything, I was feeling pretty confident about the next year. I had my own cozy dorm room on campus, I had several close friends that I could definitely count on, and everything seemed like it was going to be okay. The fall went well, I was happy with my academics, and I would partake in some fun times with my friends. Everything seemed to have come together. But in the first week of the spring semester of junior year, I suffered a mental breakdown. Since I was young, I suffered from generalized anxiety, moderate depression, and mild OCD. I had held on for too long, and everything just exploded at once. I had to leave school for the semester to regroup and get some help. During this time, I realized and learned so much. I learned who my true friends were, especially at school. These people would have done anything to help me, and did. I am eternally grateful for that. It showed me that college did provide me best friends for life. I also discovered my true passion at The College of Saint Rose. Not childhood education, but communications. This was one of the best decisions I could have ever made in my life.

Year 4: A New Beginning.

I returned to school as a communications major in the fall of 2015. I was a commuter, and I learned that this was a much better option for me. Living on campus was not my cup of tea. I do not regret it however, I would have never made the friends at school that I have if I didn't. Commuting, and starting a new major, everything had actually come together.

Today, fall 2016. Due to taking time off and changing my major, I am a senior in my fifth year at Saint Rose. Being a senior is surreal but it encouraged me to reflect on my time thus far in college. It is important to remember the things we learn inside, AND outside of the classroom. It makes us grow, mature, and connect with ourselves and other people.