The 4 Best Ways To Get Your Fall On In The Hudson Valley

Experiencing Fall in the Hudson Valley beyond the basic-ness of Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

244

Oh, how we all love fall. Oh, how you'll love with even more with these Hudson Valley Activities!

1. Hiking.

With the divine scenic views of the river and mountains atop most trails, it would be unrealistic for this list to start with any other activity. The Hudson Valley foliage seen from these hikes is like no other. So go ahead, stop for a Pumpkin Spice latte and hit a trail! For your own safety, I would suggest leaving all Uggs at home. Repress the basicness for hiking.

Most Popular Free or Inexpensive Trails

Lake Minnewaska

Lake Minnewaska in New Paltz is the perfect trail for those who don’t typically hike, but would like a scenic view with foliage. The trail is fairly level, with mild inclines. Minnewaska is the perfect place for a fall picnic or stroll with friends, though the $10 entry per car isn’t exactly fun for the wallet of a broke college student. Luckily, in addition to the beautiful trail, is Awosting Falls on the Minnewaska property. The waterfall is one of the many staples of the Shawangunk Mountains.

Breakneck Ridge in Cold Spring, NY

Breakneck Ridge is an infamous Hudson Valley hiking location. Right by Cold Spring, many from the city take the train up to hike Breakneck, which makes it very busy on the weekends. Breakneck’s rock scrambling trails make it unique and challenging. The trails are like playing tetris with your body. The hike up to highest tier is about 2 -2.5 hours round trip, there is a lower tier that is about an hour round trip. The tiers look out right over the hudson, creating a view well worth the challenge of the rock scramble. Breakneck Ridge is free trail, probably because of how horrendous the parking situation is on the weekends there. Still, it is a Hudson Valley favorite!

Mount Beacon. Beacon, NY.

Mount Beacon, another free trail, is excruciatingly beautiful. Most stop at the concrete slab at the top that overlooks the Hudson river and the Newburgh Beacon Bridge. Those who continue on to the Fire Tower know how wondrous the sights are that stretch farther down the river and allow the eye access to the Beacon Reservoir. Mount Beacon's trail is a continuous incline that is not a friend to the legs the following day. It makes for great exercise and great views--a two-in-one!

Reservoir View From Fire Tower

Pretty incredible, huh?

Sam’s Point. Cragsmoor, NY.

Sam’s Point has a $10 fee per car and is part of the Minnewaska Preserve. Complete with ice caves, Verkeerder Kill Falls, and an incredible look out ridge, there is no shortage in high adventure and picturesque scenery. Sam's Point is known to have complicated footing areas. As a result, it is important to stay aware and wear proper footwear while hiking.

Check out all of its wonder in this video!

2. Apple Picking

What is fall without apple picking?! Even if one opts out of spending money on buying apples, the experience of hayrides, cider donuts and hot chocolate with friends or family is enjoyable within itself!

Barton Orchards. Poughquag, NY

Barton is basically Fall Festivity Town. The orchard has the expected apple and pumpkin picking, but with so much more! Barton comes to life with live music, food stands, market place, hayrides, corn mazes, haunted houses and play areas for children. It's a few colorful characters away from being Disney's Halloweentown, really. Barton is known for their attractions throughout New York and the Hudson Valley, so be sure you arrive early for decent parking! General Admission is $3.

Dressel Farms. New Paltz, NY

Dressel Farms, located in artsy-fartsy, all around-adorable New Paltz, NY is a family run business that has apple picking on the weekends. In addition to apple picking, the family has their own ice cream stand makes their own Apple Cider and Hard Cider! Yummm.

Fishkill Farms. Fishkill, NY

.

Some are familiar with Fishkill Farms from Jake Gyllenhaal and Taylor Swift having apple picked on their farm. It is believed that in Swift's song "All Too Well" the lines "We're singing in the car, getting lost upstate. Autumn leaves falling down like pictures in to place" are in direct reference to Fishkill, NY and Swift's trip to Fishkill Farms. Isn't that alone enough to make you want to go? Okay, okay. Besides Swift's connection with the farm, many different types of apples are available to pick! Additionally, Fishkill Farms has some the most delicious cider donuts in the Hudson Valley. Trust me on this, I donut lie.

3. Hudson Valley Haunting Attractions

The Headless Horseman. Ulster Park, NY

As a Hudson Valley local for over decade, I have always been too terrified to explore the Headless Horseman. However, everyone I know loves it, and it has been nationally praised by USA Today, Yahoo!, The Weather Channel and many more. If ever there was a fright to be had, here is the place to experience it. One of the Horseman's newest attractions features a room where you are given a hour to escape through logic and riddles. It's basically the Saw franchise coming to life. Room themes include Zombies or Houdini's Hidden Workshop.

The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze. Croton, NY

Composed of over 7,000 carved pumpkins, Van Cortlandt Manor comes ablaze with their vast Jack-O-Lantern Display. Though not wildly terrifying, pumpkins are genuinely used to create constellations in a pumpkin planetarium and sea creatures in a pumpkin aquarium on the premises. Ghosts and the Headless Horseman come in rare pumpkin form as well!

Kevin McCurdy's Haunted Mansion. Wappingers Falls, NY.

Kevin McCurdy's of Wappingers Falls has been scaring socks off and inspiring tears in us mortals for 25 years. The mansion , filled with gory, creepy and crawly characters is bound to give you a good scare! The cast volunteers, making the show that much more passionately and scarily believable!

4. Sight Seeing

The Walkway Over the Hudson. Poughkeepsie/Highland, NY

The Walkway Over the Hudson is a concrete pathway that connects Poughkeepsie to Highland, NY. This walkway is designated for pedestrians and cyclists only. The views from the walkway are both serene and scenic. On the Highland side is an ice cream shop and deli cafe, perfect for a rest stop when walking from the Poughkeepsie side. Not dangerous, but also not recommended for those with irrational fears of heights.

The Wallkill River Valley Rail Trail, Wallkill NY to Kingston NY.

The Wallkill River Valley Trail has many entry points as it spans from Wallkill to Kingston (a total of 22 miles). My recommended entry point is by Waterstreet Market in New Paltz. On a perfect fall day, one can indulge in coffee from Waterstreet Market and then take on a stroll along the rail trail. If you follow the path to the left of Water Street Market, you will be heading towards Wallkill, passing a bridge over a farm that gives an incredible view of the Shawangunk Mountain Ridge. If you follow the path right of Water Street Market, you will be met with a different bridge that runs over the Wallkill River. The trail is perfect for a long or short stroll. Bring a friend, dog or date for a perfect fall day!

Vanderbilt Mansion. Hyde Park, NY.

An artifact of American Business Royalty, the Vanderbilts, the mansion is gorgeously structured and has an impressive garden with incredible status. Tours are given on the inside of the mansion for a fee. However, a look at the mansion's exterior is free of charge.

Perkins Drive and Bear Mountain Lake at Bear Mountain, NY.

Perkins Memorial Drive at Bear Mountain is the ideal location for those who would like the scenic views of fall without hiking. Perkins Drive allows cars to pull to the top of Bear Mountain's highest peak where you can view the rest of the mountain range, NYC and the Hudson River. There is also a look-out tower and several look-out points on the drive up to the top. Additionally, Bear Mountain Park includes a beautiful lake where paddle boats and kayaks can be rented. There is also a zoo, lodge, carousel and ice skating rink located on the premises.

Bannerman's Island. Beacon/Newburgh, NY

Once a castle to a Scottish ammunition mogul, the castle is now beautiful ruins. Stranded in the middle of the Hudson, the castle is able to be reached by ferry and kayak tours. There is not another sight quite like this in the Hudson Valley with its early 1900s architecture.