4 Reasons Why Everyone Should Write For Odyssey

Who knew ranting your opinions online had such positive benefits?

5

I was hanging out with a group of friends when someone mentioned how Odyssey is a joke. I was so taken aback by this comment. As the Editor-in-Chief of Odyssey at Drexel, I understand all of the hard work that goes into it and all of the benefits that come from it. So maybe there is content posted on here that I don't agree with, or think is quality, but that's part of what makes Odyssey great. It's a space for anyone to be able to have their voice heard. Liberal or conservative, funny or serious, poetry or short short stories - the content that's been created because Odyssey exists has no boundaries.

1. Your voice will be heard

Do you ever feel like no one is listening to you? That you have ideas that are so great but you feel like you can't voice them? Odyssey is the perfect platform to do that. So maybe your local community doesn't have the same views as you, but Odyssey is a public space. They share creator's content on their Twitter and Facebook pages and reach a national audience. Since Odyssey is a social networking site, anyone can create an account, read an article from you and follow you so they can be notified every time you post something. You have the ability to post content that reflects who you are. Your opinions matter and should be heard.

2. You get to be part of a community

You see, Odyssey isn't just a blogging platform like WordPress or BlogSpot. It's a community. This means that not only do you get to post original content, you are provided with feedback from an editing team. And since you have to make a commitment to write each week, your team makes sure you stick to your word. The editing team provides article ideas each week in case creators get writer's block. Other team members help each other out by starting conversations about pop culture, politics, plans for the weekend or whatever else interests them. Teams meet up in person to get to know each other, share writing techniques and social media strategies. Creators care about Odyssey because they are a part of something.

3. You can see your growth as a writer

Odyssey makes it easy to see how your articles are being received. You can keep track of both page views and social media shares. But however exciting going viral may be, it's really about seeing the connection between how many shares you get and the quality of your content. Since you're writing at least one article a week, you're gaining an unbelievable amount of experience. It's true that the more you do something, the better you are at it.

4. It's a good job experience

Odyssey is something you can put on your resume. Writing samples? Check. Time management? Check. Meeting deadlines? Check. Social media strategies? Check. You have physical proof that you can do it. Trust me, the people interviewing you will be impressed.

With all the benefits Odyssey has to offer, I really don't understand why people are always bashing it. Your experience with Odyssey is what you make it to be. If you want a chance to write but don't think creating your own blog will generate enough traffic, Odyssey can help you with that. If you don't think you can keep up with creating new content on your own, Odyssey is there reminding you each week and providing you with ideas. I know that my experience here has helped me in ways that I would never have imagined - and it can do the same for you.