4 Major Reasons Why I Cannot, Will Not, And Would Be Ashamed To Endorse Trump
Politics

A vote for Trump :: A vote for the deterioration of human rights

12
Politico

As an American, it is my personal belief that the right to vote is one of the most crucial rights an individual can have. It is imperative that all of us who are eligible exercise our right this November.

That being said, I have many, many problems with presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Here are just four reasons why I would be ashamed to endorse his campaign.

1. Trump's Sexism

I, as a woman, am personally offended by so many of the statements that Donald Trump has made regarding women. As I hear Trump refer to women as "pigs", "ugly", and a "bimbo", I am utterly embarrassed and gain fear for the young girls in America. I feel SHAME that I live in a nation where someone like Trump has a following, and I am especially appalled that many other women, after all he has said and done to prove himself a misogynist, will still give him their vote.

Here are some facts - direct quotes from Trump and/or his campaign regarding women.

- Trump made this statement about Carly Fiorina, a 2016 Republican presidential candidate, to the Rolling Stones magazine:

"Look at that face. Would anyone vote for that? ... Can you imagine that, the face of our next next president? I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not supposed to say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"

- After Fox News' Megyn Kelly accused Trump of making sexist remarks towards women, Trump addressed discussed his conversation with her by remarking:

"You could see there was blood coming out of [Megyn Kelly's] eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever."

He additionally tweeted about her, calling her a "bimbo".

- On his TV show, Celebrity Apprentice, contestant Brande Roderick knelt down in front of Trump to ask if she could be the next project manager; to which Trump responded:

“It must be a pretty picture. You dropping to your knees.”

On network television, Trump had the audacity to make such a sexist remark to a contestant, verbalizing his sexual desires and humiliating Roderick.

I hope and pray that men and women take a step back and think about the kind of person that we want as our children's role model.

I would be ashamed to have my children know that I voted for a man who openly makes such sexist, derogatory comments towards women.

2. Trump's Islamophobia

Every day, I am thankful that I live in a nation where all different kinds of diverse peoples can live and be free. I am thankful that the United States allows every religious group to practice freely.

But since the day that Donald Trump announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States, I have lived in fear. I am terrified for not only what could happen to religious freedom if Trump were to win the election but to see the results of what Donald Trump has already done to the American people. Trump, terrifyingly, has unfortunately already convinced thousands of Americans to take a step backwards in religious freedom.

On December 7th, 2015, Trump announced,

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a complete and total shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on. We have no choice."

This previous Monday, Donald Trump officially backed away from this plan and instead proposed a ban on immigrants and refugees from dangerous regions and an ideological test --"extreme vetting," in his words. (Source: The Washington Post)

Here are some facts about Islam:

- Murder is strictly prohibited in the Qur'an (the Islamic sacred book). Qur’an 6:151 says, “and do not kill a soul that God has made sacrosanct, save lawfully.” This means that one may not kill, except in the case of the death penalty imposed by the state.

- 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the U.S. from 1980 to 2005 have been committed by non-Muslims, according to the FBI.

- Since 1970, there have been 140,000 acts of terror committed around the world. Even if Muslims had carried out all of these attacks, those terrorists would represent less than 0.00009 percent of all Muslims. Even if this were the case, terrorism could still not be associated with Islam. (Source: Huffington Post)

So thank you, Donald Trump, for continuing to endorse falsities about Islam. Thank you for undermining the true beliefs of Muslims in an attempt to brainwash the American people by generalizing and stereotyping the second largest religion in the world.

I urge all voters to think about the effects that voting for Trump will have on the lives of our Muslim neighbors, friends, and family.

3. Trump's Ignorance

On May 7th, 2013, Trump tweeted, regarding sexual assault in the military:

"26,000 unreported sexual assaults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?"

Many, many things are wrong with this accusation:

- The report from which Trump received his statistic stated that, yes, about 26,000 members of the military experienced unwanted sexual contact; however, the same report stated that 53% of those cases involved sexual assaults by men, onto other men.

- Trump ignored that the definition used in these statistics is that of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Their definition of "unwanted sexual contact" includes "abuse, humiliation, harassment, or degradation any person” or “arousal or gratification of the sexual desire of any person."

- If this statistic had been truthful, Trump concluded that the removal of women from the armed forces would solve the issue. I find it appalling that he can openly put forth the idea that when men and women are combined together, it is reasonable to conclude that sexual assault can be expected. Do we want a president who cannot see another feasible method of dealing with such an issue?

At a campaign event in July of 2015, Donald Trump told the event's moderator:

"[John McCain]'s not a war hero," Trump explained, "He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

In 1967, as a naval aviator, Arizona Senator John McCain was shot down over Hanoi. Consequently, McCain was forced to endure five and a half years of torture as a prisoner of war. One year after his capture, McCain even refused the offer of early release, because it would have meant that he would be leaving before many other prisoners, many of whom had spent a longer period of time as a prisoner. He was released in 1973 after the Paris Peace Accords.

Tell me, shall we vote for a man who openly disrespects not only Senator McCain, but subsequently disrespects all veterans who have served our nation?

4. Trump's Homophobia

On the subject of Miss USA contestant Carrie Prejean's statement, "I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised," Trump said:

“That’s the belief of 70 percent of the people, so it wasn’t a horrible answer.”

First of all, this isn't even a correct statement. At this time, polls were shifting towards the majority of Americans supporting LGBTQ equality. Even in the polls that showed lingering opposition, the numbers were nowhere near 70% of people.

Let's open our eyes and see the reality: what were once traditional views on marriage are no longer acceptable. Love is for everyone.

Trump recently pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) if it goes through congress.

FADA would effectively legalize anti-LGBTQ discrimination; including among employers, businesses, healthcare providers, as long as they claim that they are motivated by firm religious beliefs.

The LGBTQ community and its allies have gone through hell for an extremely long time promoting equal rights for all, no matter one's gender, sexuality, or identity.

Passing the FADA would promote inequality across the board, legalizing the treatment of human beings based on who they love and how they see themselves. One's gender or sexuality does not make someone less deserving of equal and fair treatment.

(Source: LGBTQ Nation)

I support human rights.

#imwithher.