30 Essential Tips To Lose Weight Now

30 Essential Tips To Lose Weight Now

What I wish I knew before losing 50 pounds.

84
30 Essential Tips To Lose Weight Now
Viktor Hanacek

I spent a huge chunk of my life hyper-focused on losing weight, researching anything and everything about nutrition, exercise, fitness, and the latest fads.

Now that I'm over 50lbs down, and finally at a healthy weight that I'm happy with – I want to share some things I wish I knew before my journey started. If I embraced these from the get-go, I would have saved a lot of time.

1. Learning to accept and love yourself should take priority

Losing weight doesn't mean that you'll automatically love yourself. Sure, you've lost the weight — but the real issues are still there. Focus on dealing with those issues first, and you'll stress yourself out a lot less. The process will be easier, and an added bonus: You'll be happier.

2. Sugar addiction is the devil

It’s hard to quit, and ridiculously easy to fall back into. One minute you're eating nothing but kale, and the next you're pounding down two packages of Oreos in a vain attempt to satisfy a craving. Not that I did this or anything.

I eat nothing but kale and sunshine.

3. Strength training is your best friend

Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to work out every single day of the week to maintain your body? You can.

Strength training will cause the most dramatic changes in your body the quickest. You won't burn as many calories initially during the workout, but you burn more for days after. Plus, when you build muscle, your body needs more energy to sustain itself – and as such, your metabolism gets faster.

Your body becomes a self-sustaining fat-burning machine, and you look sexy and toned.

It's a win-win.

4. Bloating sucks

When I was obese I thought I lucked out. "Oh, I don't bloat," I'd find myself spouting these words on a regular basis.

Boy, was I wrong. Bloating is very real, and once you lose weight – It's much more noticeable.

Some things to keep in mind about bloating and water retention: Simple carbs and refined sugars are the worst offenders for this. Run away from them whenever possible.

5. Focusing too much on losing weight will cause you to miss out on life

Don't put off living your life because you want to be thinner to do it. Life is important—don't miss out on life-changing experiences or memories.

6. Focusing too much on losing weight might also make you gain weight

When you restrict yourself too much because of this weight-loss journey of yours, you don't give yourself permission to make mistakes. So, when you do – when you feel pressured into having a drink or eating out you self-sabotage yourself spectacularly.

There needs to be a balance, otherwise, it just is not sustainable.

7. Learn to live an active lifestyle

Pick up hobbies where being active is an afterthought. Bike or walk more places. Do things where being active feels secondary.

Doing this allows weight loss to become more passive and self-sustaining. Focus on simplifying wherever possible, and you'll thank yourself later.

8. Find something you actually enjoy

Just because I love rock-climbing and think it's one of the best ways to passively build strength, doesn't mean that you should go out and buy a harness and force yourself to climb. Just because people like running, or lifting, or whatever— that doesn't mean it's your niche.

Find something active that you love without question, and just do it. No questions asked.

9. Mindfulness is a necessary skill

When was the last time you gave yourself a moment to really live in the present? If you're like most people, it probably doesn't happen very frequently. Being aware of how you feel in the present, and allowing yourself to be in the moment is an incredibly important skill to have. Focusing on building that awareness will help you maintain and create a greater sense of self-control.

10. Get rid of your ‘fat’ pants immediately when they don’t fit

Enough said. Don't give yourself the opportunity to fall back.

11. Reward systems don’t work

This one is debatable. For me, reward systems don't work. I don't think that you should put off having experienced or doing things for yourself that make your quality of life better, in fact— it's counterintuitive.

Have fun living your life while you're losing weight. When you no longer fit into your clothes, buy stuff you want to wear. Focus on being happy now – not later.

12. Goals are great, but basing them on someone else isn’t ideal

It's unhealthy, and if you're worrying too much about how everyone else looks instead of on your own progress – you'll miss the little accomplishments. Those small achievements add up.

13. Who you choose to surround yourself with matters more than you think

Surround yourself with people who support you and your goals. If you don't, you'll be riding the struggle-bus pretty hard.

14. Move in secret

A lot of people fall into the trap of announcing goals before they're even close to achieving them— at which point they get a ton of praise for the idea of the goal. If you constantly get praise for announcing something that might happen, you have less motivation to actually achieve that goal.

Only share successes when you’ve actually accomplished them, or are on your way there.

15. People have good intentions – but they don’t know your situation. Listen to your intuition.

Oh, So-And-So lost fifty pounds just by following the Atkins diet and running? Cool. But, that doesn't work for me.

Take advice from other people with a grain of salt. Try stuff out, but stick with whatever you find that works for you.

16. Calories matter… kind of...

It’s more complicated than calories in, calories out. What matters is the quality of the calories you're eating. Your body is not a calculator, so stop treating it like one.

"It's not how many calories you consume, it's what makes up those calories that's critically important." -Emily Kyle

17. Body dysmorphia is a struggle

One minute you love how your arms are starting to look, and the next you're obsessing over a small patch of cellulite that no one but you will notice.

18. Your body generally looks better than you think it does.

When you're so focused on changing your body, you become oversensitive to how it looks.

19. You need to set tangible goals

Set tangible goals that have nothing to do with weight-loss. Tangible goals are ones that you can immediately see progress with, and can create a plan to achieve them in any given timeline.

Examples include:

- By the end of the year, I will be able to have my heels touch the floor in downward dog.

- I will be able to make the next two moves to solve this bouldering problem by the end of the month.

- I will be able to do a full squat by the end of the year.

20. It’s a battle with your identity

When you spend nearly your entire life overweight, it becomes a big part of who you are. When you strip that away, you have to consciously redefine yourself. For me, this was the most difficult part.

21. Make-up is less of a necessity

I love makeup, but I used it a lot more frequently and heavily when I was bigger. It's become less necessary now, because I love how I look on a daily basis. I'm no longer looking at my face thinking of what I can do to make my jawline have more shape, or make my cheekbones stand out.

When you lose weight, some of that fat comes from your face. Your features become more defined, and you don't need to spend the time trying to achieve the illusion of definition.

22. People will treat you differently

Yep, it's true. People are going to treat you differently, but not for the reason you'd think. It's not because you got skinny, hot, whatever— It's because your overall confidence has shot up. You're happier. You're more approachable and less intimidating.

23. Do things to strengthen your core and back

Make this a priority. When you strengthen your core and back— you're making everything easier on yourself. Your posture gets better, and you'll have less pain.

24. Pace yourself

Say it with me: This isn’t a race. Sure, it's impressive that someone can lose 100lbs in a year – but if you want to give yourself the best chance at success, you need you go at your own pace.

Everyone is different. Find your pace.

26. The only supplement you really need is a daily vitamin

Don't bother with supplements. Focus on getting your nutrients through food whenever possible. However, a daily vitamin is always a good idea.

27. Again: Everyone is different

Find what works best for you. My body tends to run the best on a diet of high fats and proteins, and minimal carbs. You might be the opposite. Don't be afraid to experiment!

28. Fats are not bad

I REPEAT: Fats are friends AND food. Read more here about why healthy fats are actually really good for you.

29. Losing weight isn’t separate from your life

This journey is part of your life – integrate it.

30. Your perspective is going to change

You're not going to come out the same as you when you started. Your outlook on life is going to change.

Embrace it.