Always Remember These 3 Things When You're Healing A Broken Heart

Heartbreaks suck, but they don't last forever.

63

Heartbreaks. No matter how much times have changed, we still haven't found a remedy that can be prescribed universally to cure heartbreak — as great as that would be, there just isn't one. Maybe there really won't be an answer that will "satisfy" everyone in this case, but that doesn't mean you will never get out of this rut.

Here are three important things to always remember when healing from heartbreak:

1. Timing is different for everyone.

Everyone deals with heartbreak differently. Some cry until they run out of tears, some envelope themselves in music that matches their mood, some like to indulge in sweets... there are so many activities people do to try and ease the heartache. Even though everyone deals with this part of life, just like any other, this should be kept in mind: time is a very fickle thing. Yes, this is an undoubtedly obvious thing to keep in mind, but a lot of us tend to forget it when going through something that is heartbreaking.

"My dog died a month ago, why am I still not over this?"

"We broke up half a year ago, why do I still feel so hurt?"

Of course, these aren't the only things that cause heartbreak, but you get the idea.

It is not a race to see how fast you can move on from a heartbreaking situation. Time is for you to heal, grow, and find something to gain from the situation, whether it's that you've realized to not take something for granted or you're finding out what your true values are as a person.

2. There is no "one size fits all" answer.

Just like time is not something you can set to help ease your heartache, there is not one single thing that can ease your heartache, either. This can be scary because you may not know what can cheer you up and, therefore, it can make you think you can't be cheered up at all. But that's not the case.

From talking it out with friends and family to listening to music to writing to creating, you have the ability to do anything and everything that can help lift your spirits. Something that is really common today is journaling and writing about your day. I've done this, and honestly, there aren't really any guidelines you have to follow. Anyone can do it, however they want to. Regardless of what you do, make sure it is something you genuinely enjoy doing, and don't do it because someone else says you need to.

3. There will be better days.

Now, more than ever, it doesn't seem like things will lighten up, but this doesn't mean you stop pushing forward. Know that this situation will not last forever. If anything, this situation will make you stronger and help give you the momentum to keep going. Think about it like this: if every day was a good day, there would be no bad days. If there were no bad days, we wouldn't know what a bad day is and, in return, wouldn't have a way of gauging what a good day is. We need bad days to look forward to the good days. As Dolly Parton says, "There can't be a rainbow without a little rain."

You will get through the heartache, and you will come out stronger than you think.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.