27 Signs You Grew Up Playing Soccer

27 Signs You Grew Up Playing Soccer

For the ones who spent their childhood out on the field

926
27 Signs You Grew Up Playing Soccer
Beth Williams

Growing up playing soccer is something I will always thank my parents for encouraging and allowing me to do. Yes, that's me in the picture above, I'm the one on the right in the front row with the pigtails. Soccer gave me an outlet to have fun and meet new friends outside of school and it's a sport I will always cherish. Whether you played recreational, travel, club or premier, those of us who grew up playing soccer have all experienced similar things. This article is for the ones who spent their childhood out on the field; here are 27 signs you grew up playing soccer:

1. You always got yelled at in gym class for kicking the basketballs

Because I couldn't throw for anything but I could kick a ball like nobody's business.

2. You didn't know what to do when games were canceled on the weekends

Especially when they were out of town and you were really excited about going.

3. Freshly painted soccer lines got on all of your clothes

and on you.

4. You can find just about any household item to use as a goal

No goal? No problem! We can use some roller skates or bags of mulch instead.

5. You got jealous of the kids who got to escort the pro players out on the field on t.v.

You'd watch and think "they probably don't even play..."

6. Your favorite soccer player was Mia Hamm

7. Or Ronaldinho

8. Your summers were filled with soccer camp after soccer camp

...after soccer camp.

9. Your parent probably coached you at one time or another

and if they weren't, they were screaming on the sidelines.

10. You felt unstoppable when you successfully pulled a move on the field

11. The best practices consisted of shark attack and world cup

12. Your neighbors got mad when you practiced in the street

The constant yells of "get out of the street kids!" never ceased from neighbors and passersby.

13. You owned more cleats than regular shoes

14. You had to wear the awful polyester uniforms with no shape

The boxy uniforms weren't flattering on anybody.

15. You felt like a boss running through the tunnel after a game

Because when you got to run through a tunnel of people, you felt like a superstar.

16. You hated the teammate who stole your number

And everyone always wanted the same one.

17. You talked trash about the other kids after high-fiving them at the end of the game

18. You still have all your old t-shirts from tournaments and showcases

19. You lived for the snacks after the game

You could always count on orange slices and juice bags after the game.

20. The most annoying thing was when the ref mad you line up and knock on your shin guards

21. But shin guards were the bane/savior of your existence

They were bulky and annoying, but at the same time they kept you from dying after getting kicked in the shins.

22. No amount of Febreze could ever make your soccer bag smell better

23. Or your cleats

24. Or your shin guards

#Rank.

25. You got to play against old teammates once you made it to high school

And the refs always thought you were fighting when you were really just happy to see each other.

26. You still have scars from turf-burn

And grass stains that never came out of your clothes.

27. You always had your teammates to rely on