23 Fraternity Names: A Positive Viewpoint

To the writer who stereotyped 23 names

360
Phi Mu Delta at Ohio Northern University

Recently I came across an article called "The 23 Frattiest Guy Names And What They Say About Each Guy." The article lists 23 male names and the stereotype associated with their name. While reading the article I noticed the author refers to the list as "Natty-light drinking frat boys."

I find this bothering.

As a Greek man, I am exceptionally proud of the fraternity I am a part of, and I am even more proud of my brothers and all they accomplish. While going through the article's list of names, I noticed that coincidentally, several of these names listed by the author are names of actual brothers in my own fraternity. For example, there is a brother in my fraternity named Tyler; however, I don't think he knows the name of every European capital, as assumed by the author of the article I'm commenting on. So, below I have listed 23 names of my own, names of brothers in my "frat."

23. Tyler.

Served as the Vice President of our university's Student Senate. An accomplished leader, athlete, and academic. Always has a positive outlook on things.

22. Zach.

We actually have three brothers named Zach. One Zach in particular is the most optimistic and cheerful person I know, and I think he's one of the most intelligent students in our business college.

21. John.

I always recognize John on campus. He's very laid back and is truly a master of sarcasm and accounting.

20. Dylan.

He is a loyal person to his friends and brothers. Studies harder than most students, and always has a positive attitude when I have a conversation with him.

19. Nick.

We actually have four Nicks in the fraternity. One in particular is perhaps the most loyal and democratic man I will ever meet in my life. A strong heart, and dedicated to serving his community. He does have a girlfriend, so the author of the other article is incorrect when she says "Truly cares about every girl he talks to".

18. Ryan.

A newer brother to the fraternity, but he is not only an outgoing student, but an excellent photographer. I low-key envy him on his skills.

17. Brandon.

Very dedicated towards his career. Always engaged with the fraternity, despite getting ready for graduation.

16. Connor.

We have three Connors (one has their name spelt with a "K"). None of them have done Keg stands, because quite frankly, not all fraternities are stereotypical like that. One of the Connors in particular has helped me during tough times in my own life, and is always kind to others.

15. Ore.

Not only does Ore have amazing dance moves, but Ore also has an amazing attitude towards everything. He has a fun personality and there's never a dull moment with him.

14. Dan.

Dan is perhaps one of the most kind individuals I will meet, but he's never afraid to call me out on any nonsense. Truly, he is like an older brother to me.

13. Brian.

Brian is not afraid to speak his mind. He is also a dedicated student and loyal friend to anyone he meets. As a student below my grade, I sometimes even have to go to him for help on homework.

12. Alex.

Alex is someone who inspires me to step up my game, whether it's academics or just anything in general. He is passionate about everything he does.

11. Ben.

Ben is optimistic as hell. Not only is he a constant leader on my campus, but he is always a great guy to help you when you're having a rough day. He is always encouraging others, even during tough times. If he had a quote it would be, "You got this, man."

10. Harry.

If Harry knows you, he always will say hello to you, and ask how your day is going. Never a dull conversation with him.

9. Habib.

Habib is always a great person to hang out with. Along with being a junior at school, he will always make time to hang out with you, and will always make sure to keep your snapchat streak alive.

8. Konner.

Here is another Konner in the fraternity. Not only is he dedicated to his school work, but he's perhaps one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet on campus.

7. Nick.

Here is a second brother named Nick. Nick is active in the community, such as helping with local blood drives and community service projects. He was also a great president of our fraternity. He's never afraid to give the honest truth on subject matters, and has the most contageous laugh you will ever hear.

6. Andrew.

Speaking of fraternity presidents, not only is Andrew the most ambitious guy you will ever meet, but he is the most humble as well. He always goes above and beyond expectations for anything he does. He's also a fantastic artist. Despite graduating, you will always see him at events like Relay for Life, ready to donate and support the university.

5. Thorne.

Despite being an older brother, ready to graduate soon, Thorne is a strong guy. Through tough times, he persists through it all. Also, congrats on the engagement!!!

4. Ryne.

A brother who isn't afraid to call you out on your actions. He's great at giving honest advice, and is always progressing in his life.

3. Fares.

Fares is always willing to give advice, and offers a unique perspective on everything. Despite being a senior, Fares remains active in everything he does. Also, no one can drink more coffee than he can.

2. Pat.

Pat gives one-hundred percent to everything he does. Not only has he served on many organizations on campus, such as President's club, or the honors program, but he represents the university at such a high level of professionalism. Pat remains active in his fraternity and other organizations, despite working as an accountant and finishing his degree.

1. Josh.

Josh is an excellent drawer, and can most likely be working in the animation business sometime. He is a great guy in public relations. Loves movies, and coaches younger basketball students.

So, in the overall summary, every name is different. Every person has a unique personality. Not all fraternity men are stereotypical. We, the men of PMD, are certainly not. To the writer who labeled and stereotyped 23 names, I hope you will consider having a more open mind to fraternities, and people in general. There is no such thing as "fratty names." Names do not deserve negative labels.