21 Life Lessons I Learned At 21

21 Life Lessons I Learned At 21

There's a new lesson every year.

959
21 Life Lessons I Learned At 21
beachbody.com

21 is a very important age in a person's life. You're of legal drinking age, you're almost done with college, you have lived at least 1/4 of your life, and hopefully you matured a lot from the time you were in high school. I turned 21 last December and I am still learning what responsibility means. Here is my list of 21 life lessons I learned at 21.

1. Let it go. Life does go on.

The guy that dumped you? Well no matter how bad I want him to come back or bottle it all up inside and be angry and bitter about it, everything happens for a reason. Life does indeed go on even when I thought my "breakup" was the end of the world, it really wasn't. I just needed to learn to let it go.

2. Make a "done" list rather than a "to-do" list

This indeed is a more positive outlook on life as it allows me to see what good things I have done and actually accomplished rather than focusing on the negative and all the things I haven't completed and becoming frustrated at the amount of things I have left to do.

3. Set personal boundaries and learn to say no.

4. Don't overexert myself.

I learned not to overcommit myself to too many extracurriculars. I'm not Superwoman; I am human and I can only accomplish so much.

5. Surround myself with good people who positively influence me.

6. I'm not too old

7. Learn from my mistakes and don't make them in the future.

8. Learn to live with less and to cut excess from my life.

That is why I need to look at my handy dandy Google Calendar and clean up my social calendar so I can focus on schoolwork and not overextend and stress out due to superfluous activities.

9. Quality time with loved ones is so important.

10. Worrying is useless.

I myself am a worry wart. I worry about everything. "What if my friends dislike me ?" "What if my haircut doesn't look good after I leave the barbershop and people laugh at me?" Relax and calm down. BREATHE.

11. Never obsess over anything

Thinking about something over and over doesn't change the fact that it exists

12. The past is the past, I can't change or repeat the past.

Regardless of what Jay Gatsby says about being able to change the past, the past is the past, and I can't change it.

13. Stop controlling, I can't change outcomes.

14. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't make it right.

15. It's ok not to have a significant other at this point in time.

16. I don't need a person to complete me.

17. I don't need to please others or be controlled by their opinions.

18. I don't need to put my worth and identity in what others say or think of me.

19. Exercise is very important for general well-being

Exercise is good for the body as it keeps people in shape and it is good for the health as it releases endorphins and makes me happy.

20. There's no shame in taking naps.

Take the nap. If I'm so tired that I can hardly keep my eyes open, I tell myself I should get some rest and wake up refreshed to do more product.

21. There's no shame in seeing a counselor.